Wild Garlic - Is this the season?

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I found loads of the stuff last year, around May time if I remember correctly. I went back to collect a load come June and it was all wilting and looking not to fresh. From what I have read it grows at its best from late winter until May. Can anyone confirm if this season is correct and that I should be going out collecting now? It is a fair hike from here to the patch but I will be going there Friday anyway, should I bring my shears for it as there is a good several hundred meters of the stuff growing along a huge stretch of woodland. I was hoping to make some pesto out of it!

When we found this patch, we knew it must be there, as we kept saying to each other. "Can you smell garlic?!" I would love to make the most of it this year and get a few jars pickled, pestoed etc.. :D

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
If you mean ramsons... In south wales, theres tons of the stuff now. Even in flower.

I'm not sure if you would need shears. Take your time, a bag and enjoy :)

P.s its an anual. So sping-march to to june/july ideally. Younger leaves the better.

Last edited:

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Nice one, cheers. A little later here as it is normally colder probably. I was out doing the speyside way last april/may and there was loads of it. Good to know the seasons now! Off walking there on Friday to I'll bring a baggy :D

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Aye thats my plan, pickling vinegar works well too for most herbs, a high density of green to vinegar and then your choice of spices if you want to liven it up a bit.

There is a nice aniseed wild plant growing at the same time of year....

I'll edit the post with it if I can remember it, but I imagine a wild garlic and aniseed mix would blow your mind :D

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Ramsons are wild garlic... wild onion is also refered to as 'crow garlic' and then you have three cornered leek, or garlic depending on where you are from :)

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Very different to normal garlic though, which I think the site you referred to is discussing. The garlic in ransoms or "wild garlic" is called so only because of the distinct smell and not because it is a relative. Regardless though, botulism is not a problem with garlic alone, it is a generic problem with all preserved or long stored foods. So care should always be taken!

Not sure about the sulphur issue with botulism, I need to research that one! (yes I read the site!)

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Last year I said I would make a list of ingredients to make a scottish curry, sourced from the wild. Garlic, onion and aniseed I have figured. Where can I get some hot a spicy?! Other than this I need a ginger substitute, eeek.....

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
No worries... Just a bit of information though. No reason, just though I would point it out :)

Ramsons, Allium ursinum — also known as buckrams, wild garlic, broad-leaved garlic, wood garlic, bear leek, and bear's garlic — is a wild relative of chives

Allium sativum, commonly known as garlic, is a species in the onion genus, Allium. Its close relatives include the onion, shallot, leek, chive

So, ramsons are bulbless members of the chive family, which in turn is a memeber of the onion family, of which garlic also belongs to the same family. All one big happy family!

Hot and spicy, horseradish ;)

Last edited:

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I have had some success freezing wild garlic. What I do is wash and dry it then chop. I freeze stems and flowers apart from leaves. Make sure that what you freeze them in is airtight. Will last a good while. If I make a salad I will often just grab a handfull still frozen and sprinkle on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE