Wild food equivalent for milk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
i am attempting acorn flour at the moment and that seems reasonable simerlar in nutrition to milk. i don't know if a milk drink can be made from it yet. I know a coffee like drink can be made from acorns but it is a differant process to make flour. Acorn cafe latte could be possible without the need for the moose:D .

I hate that kind of nutritional value system, "per serving", why oh why not use a weight percentage? :rant: Anyway, thanks for the link. But the values listed is for the flour itself, the actual milk blend would probably have less nutrients?

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Niether me or my daugther can drink cows milk, so I end up bringing soya baby powder when out. It is expensive and when she was a toddler i took her off it because it gave her symptoms of precocious puberty (soy has avery high phyto-oestrogens). I don't really don't wont drink it on health and environmental grounds.

I will be out buying almond powder today, and experimenting. I have cooked with it but never thought about making milk. Thank you very much this will make a big differance to us
Soy is one worst things on earth it wrecks male hormones

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I quite like soya milk. I very, very rarely bother making it at home though. It's the best of the bought ones. I have no idea what they do to the commercial almond and hazelnut milks, the stuff in cartons, but it's not good. It is not a patch on the homemade stuff that I've used for most of my life. I think they squeeze every iota out of the stuff, and they must sterilise it somehow, but it tastes odd, it tastes thin.
Buy some ground almonds and give the home made a go.
There are loads of recipes that are lovely with the remains :) so no waste.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I quite like soya milk. I very, very rarely bother making it at home though. It's the best of the bought ones. I have no idea what they do to the commercial almond and hazelnut milks, the stuff in cartons, but it's not good. It is not a patch on the homemade stuff that I've used for most of my life. I think they squeeze every iota out of the stuff, and they must sterilise it somehow, but it tastes odd, it tastes thin.
Buy some ground almonds and give the home made a go.
There are loads of recipes that are lovely with the remains :) so no waste.
I also can’t be bothered to make my own plant milk. I buy a branded soya milk and yogurts and the extra cost is noticeable in the texture and consistency of the milk. It can be added to hot drinks and works fine for cooking with unlike some that curdle and are basically water. I’ve tried a few and find the nut milks to be less ‘normal’ tasting. I like an unsweetened milk and have got used to it now and prefer it to dairy milk.
I like to add tinned coconut milk to dal. Adds a nice creamy taste to it. Couldn’t drink it as a milk though.

Reactions: Toddy

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Didn’t Hyacinth Bucket ( its BOUQUET) ask the name of the cow her milk came from?
There are pros and cons to every option. California grows the most almonds in the world. The biggest grower also owns Fiji bottled water.
He got friend Jerry Brown to push a big river dam project up north. This while restoring salmon runs and a drought puts pressure on everything. It takes MORE water to produce one almond than a gallon of cows milk. Cattle produce methane, but so do flatulent politicians.
So, drink what you like. I’m having
English breakfast with milk, Demerara sugar and digestives.Brewed in my Sadler Brown Betty. Cheers Sir Robert Fortune

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm not doubting that California grows most in the world, or the water issues caused, but the almonds I buy (just checked the bag) are grown in Turkey....who apparently supply most of Europe. How they're managing their water issues I don't know, but it seems to be just a part of their agricultural exports.

I know that I can't grow almonds here, but hazelnuts do grow here, if we can get to them before the blasted squirrels do.

I wish I could drink cow's milk, because it's incredibly nutritious and British farmers deserve the support for an excellent product.

I can't though. I had half of a can of mushroom soup at lunch, and I am still feeling queasy. The soup was made with milk in the 'cream of' bit. I have been nauseous and uncomfortable all afternoon and am in no notion for dinner whatsoever.
Sod's law. It's just not worth the upset, and I am one of the lucky ones, at least I don't do the whole projectile vomiting on it.

Nut milk though, it's very good, and so is the soya, but I think it's like most things, in moderation we can enjoy an enormous range of foods. I think variety is healthy, it's good for us, I think it's gentler on the planet too.

Reactions: nigelp

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
We have only used milk since we started domesticating animals like sheep and goats , before that we didn't use it .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Human milk is sweet. It's not thick and creamy like raw cows milk, though there is fat in it, but it tastes sweet.
Not really really sweet, but sweet rather than savoury.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE