Wild flower ID plz

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Haha
Silly Billy
Arr just tried to put pic in off phone and its come up with " the app does not have access to your pics"? Strange it normally lets me
Ill try and enable settings

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Could well be a chive flower head but looks too long. It does have an allium look to it - but there is a round stemmed grass behind and to the right

On reflection I suspect crow garlic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_vineale

13436.jpg

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My first thought was a rush of some sort, but I agree it is probably an Allium (onion) of some sort, but you will need to see the flowers open to identify it.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If we agree on allium we can do some elimination

Its not chive (stems don't spike through the flower head on a chive, this is too long), welsh onion (too slim, flowers are white on wo), three cornered leek (leaves are round), ramson (leaves are round), onion (too slim), shallot (no clumps), walking onion (too short and slim) or potato onion (far too slim), garlic chive (leaves are round), wild onion allium canadense (flowers would be white and not have a leaf through). Its not one of the ornamental alliums I keep although there are others.

If its an allium its got to be an escapee ornamental or crow garlic I think. Be worth having a crush and a sniff Billy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I just like alliums - mainly fried on hot dogs :)

We need JohnnyP or one of the flora experts to be sure!

Myosotis

Jun 9, 2013
Leicester
The only other allium species it could be would be A. oleraceum - Field Garlic. Which could be difficult to distinguish between without having the plant in front of you, depending on the quality of the images. However, Field Garlic flowers a little later, is less common, and has two bracts enclosing the immature flowers rather than one like in Crow Garlic. From the picture it is difficult to tell, but going on the time of year etc I would say Crow Garlic, although some closer inspection of the number of papery bracts would be decisive.
Myosotis.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
If we agree on allium we can do some elimination

Its not chive (stems don't spike through the flower head on a chive, this is too long), welsh onion (too slim, flowers are white on wo), three cornered leek (leaves are round), ramson (leaves are round), onion (too slim), shallot (no clumps), walking onion (too short and slim) or potato onion (far too slim), garlic chive (leaves are round), wild onion allium canadense (flowers would be white and not have a leaf through). Its not one of the ornamental alliums I keep although there are others.

If its an allium its got to be an escapee ornamental or crow garlic I think. Be worth having a crush and a sniff Billy

Thanks all for the replies

I am going back this morning for more pics a crush and a sniff and some measurements.
If it helps any its on a road verge of a lane off a lane,
I live in the country sourronded in lanes, farms, woodlands and fields, lots of medows, and uncut verges.
I am trying very hard to Identify and recored as many wild flowers as I can, with all your help.
Cheers
Bill

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a lovely way to learn is this forum idea :D I know my area, but outside it, well, it's more limited.
I find it fascinating to hear how other people see and analyse and recognise plants, and those little bits of knowledge stick in the mind :)
Thank you everyone who contributes :cool:

atb,
Mary

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
It's a lovely way to learn is this forum idea :D I know my area, but outside it, well, it's more limited.
I find it fascinating to hear how other people see and analyse and recognise plants, and those little bits of knowledge stick in the mind :)
Thank you everyone who contributes :cool:

atb,
Mary

My sentiments exactly
I've been back and this is what I found,
When I tried to pull one stork out the ground I couldn't do it, it was tiff as old boots to get out to the point the stark snapped.
It was about just over three feet tall and when I broke the stark up to smell it's scent, my first impression was oniony, then I asked my wife and she said it could smell garlicy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Onion / garlic smell confirms its an allium. I'm pretty confident its crow garlic at that point. Its edible, but not the most palatable of wild alliums

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Thanks British Red
What part is edible please, I don't think I'd like to eat the stork as it looked very sinuey as I took it apart, unless it softens up as it grows?
Cheers for all the replies and help guys much appreciated
Cheers
Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE