Wild camping videos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Haha!
If I didn't know better I might think you were my mum logging on from her machine and pretending to be Scottish from that post! I dunno why she'd be logging onto a site like this and pretending to be Scottish (she's Irish) but that was uncanny.

I've never grown out of the looking for things with the eyes closed part though... though I genuinely think that's a "man" thing. I've always thought women got a lot more detail in their periferal vision wheras men's eyesight is much more focussed... so where a woman walks into said bomb site and sees the thing instantly out of the corner of her eye (or often, at her feet) a guy needs to look right at it.

...and I'm STICKING to it. Haha.

Twice in the past 2 days I've been looking for something that was in plain sight (one on the kitchen worktop, one on the window sill just above) and within 4 feet of where I was standing and taken far longer than the 2 seconds it should have taken me to find them.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
in my defence i never had a "Floor wardrobe" however i was one of those kids that poured out his mahoosive bucket of lego to build things and never put it away.
early in the morning i can sometimes still hear my mothers screams....

seems my two sons are totally following in my footsteps though they already can't find objects in front of their own feet, they're usual response to anything is "huh?" and i keep tripping over 'Go Diego Go' toys and bionicles...

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
V4V, I've just watched the vidoes - and enjoyed them very much:)

Constructive criticism? None really - I found nothing much too much wrong with them. The intro music is too loud though - I listen on headphones, so it hurts.

I look forward to the next episodes showing us how you choose a discrete site, safe from falling branches and all that sort of stuff, how you put up tarp, hammock and so on.

I enjoyed them very much - I watched the four, back to back, and was quite disappointed that there wasn't yet an episode 5,6,7.....

So, thanks:)

Michael

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
Ep 5 up now! It had to be in 2 parts - your wish seems to have been granted as far as hammock set up - that's the main feature of the episode.

will definitely have to do something for choosing a site - good idea

Although I have a large backlog of footage - I'm trying to them the episodes, sop the next one will be fire, then water, food etc -then gear and sundry bits - the picking a site thing will probably be in ep 11 or so. There seems to be lots of currently unused footage, so expect a second season!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
in my defence i never had a "Floor wardrobe" however i was one of those kids that poured out his mahoosive bucket of lego to build things and never put it away.
early in the morning i can sometimes still hear my mothers screams....

seems my two sons are totally following in my footsteps though they already can't find objects in front of their own feet, they're usual response to anything is "huh?" and i keep tripping over 'Go Diego Go' toys and bionicles...

Melonfish - ditto on the Lego front.

Hmmm :rolleyes: Lego and robotix all over the bedroom floor, with one boxful carefully left lying open beside the bed.......son2 in the upper bunk was sick with the muesli and milk he'd had for supper, and he got the whole lot covered in it as he leaned over the side of the bed :eek: :eek:

I've cleaned up a lot of messes in my day, but muesli sick out of lego ?? that was just really, really, really bad :( :yuck:
If there hadn't been a wee heartbroken son at the thought, and hundreds of pounds worth of the blasted stuff, I think I'd have binned it.
Thank heavens for Savlon disinfectant.

Then they discoverd the joys of electronics.......crossing their room to draw the curtains open one morning I trod on a component.......one of those ones with pins sticking up.........16 needles right into the sole of my foot :censored: :argue: Not a happy Mum.

As they got older I just left the hoover outside their door, they knew that if they tripped over it I really meant, " I want every inch of that carpet hoovered, now. I don't care how you shift stuff to do it, but you will hoover every inch."
They were pretty good about it really :D . They're all grown up now, I loved sharing their childhood, but the best bit is that I really like the adults that my sons have become. :cool: :D

cheers,
Toddy

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I gave just watched them & I think they are good, especially for people that are new to the bushcraft thing. Yes there is the legal issue for both would be 'wild campers' & for this site but that looks like it has been addressed. He does give a good basic disclaimer of what you need to do (i.e. get permision) or do it where it's tolerated. I fully understand that BCUK cant be seen to be promoting the idea of trespass as being acceptable & needs to take steps from time to time to stop things getting out of hand. That said, they are good fun too watch and I have pocked up a few good tips so far (e.g. old army leather rifle ammo pouch as a cheap possables pouch)

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
Toddy, like Big Shot, your post struck accord. I only have to close my eyes to recall my own mum saying the very same things years ago. You've brought me a few golden moments of rememberance.

Toddy - it's probably all the messy kids who grow up ok...
...any of the kids I knew as a young'un that had bedrooms like something in a show home all grew up to be a bit wierd... and that includes the one guy who's mother was so crazily tidy that all 4 of her sons had tidy rooms.

Cleaning sick out of Lego is a job I hope I never have to do... the one thing that would be worse would be Lego Technic... the holes in those things would make the cleanup even worse!

I just know I'm going to have the world's messiest kids to pay me back. I also know that if I'm right, my mother won't only have no sympathy, but will laugh at me too. :p

V4V, well done with the videos, please emphasize the legalities ( / illegalities) of "Wild Camping", as you aldready mention in the introduction to Eps 1.
I think "Wild Camping" is just an unfortunate term, which in recent years has become too associated with camping without permission, even though this was not your intention. I would suggest using a different term such as "Wilderness Camping", and I think then fewer people would ***** there ears up.
On the vids themselves, as has been said above, introductions are WAY too long, and on the whole there's too much talking to camera. Remember to "Show" the audience, rather than "Tell" the audience.
Otherwise enjoyed them, Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE