Wild camping tent and wild camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hyperblue

Jan 8, 2017
Salisbury, England
In your Post#15, you intend to go all the way to South Africa for a course.
No suitable educational opportunities any closer?
I'd expect the UK to have at least one of everything!

Alas I have had enough of the UK's terrible education system. The course is a FAGASA course (Field Guides Association of Southern Africa). I have spent years studying in the UK trying to get into any part of the wildlife industry, unfortunately our country is not nature orientated, jobs in the sector are scarce, badly paid and almost non existent. Even volunteering is becoming difficult here. Fagasa guiding courses are quite world renowned (in the sector anyway) and if you are qualified open many doors all over the world. You're unlikely to be able to become a guide in South Africa, but there are plenty of other places thar would be thrilled to have a guide. Having said all that, I would go and do the course just to get to spend a year living on a wildlife reserve , regardless of post job pontential.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks, very interesting. Some ideal job candidates have the strangest mix of education and experience!
Would you anticipate job possibilities outside of Africa?

There has been an industry-driven guide's diploma course in my district.
Alpine trekking and winter heli-skiing are the main subject areas.
Steady demand for graduates all over western North America.
It seems to blow hot and cold, depending on the enthusiasm of the local post-secondary college,
The College of New Caledonia. Makes student planning really awkward.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't think the UK does have a terrible education system, but it does come up agin the realities of too many candidates for very few jobs, in some areas.

Zoology and it attendant disciplines is much over subscribed. Too many failed to get into Vet school so took it as a second option.
Countryside Ranger services are under horrendous budgetary constraints, and folks who set up Forest Schools and Bushcraft schools are competing for limited numbers and can rarely afford full time staff.
Funny how there always 'seem' to be jobs elsewhere though….or are there? and is it just hype for course providers ?

To support salaried staff needs year round numbers of people prepared to pay money, or council funding.
Being seasonally able seems to be the best bet. Friends who do tourist stuff in Summer and Autumn, teach ski-ing in Winter and Spring.
Diversity of background experience is a very good thing and who you know, and why they know you, too.

Best of luck with your studies, and with the next driving test :)

cheers,
Toddy

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Hear hear.
I think that's quite a good idea and I admire the decision and determination to do a year out in the bush in S.A.
That will be a great experience in itself.
Good luck with all your endeavours David!👍

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Education in UK is just as good or bad as the student.
It is quite commo for the state not to limit the various educations, as it keeps the wages down. I know, I know, I am being mean again.....
All countries do it.

Once you get that training done, you should be able to work on many countries worldwide?
Australia, NZ, Africa.
It is a huge plus that you speak English!
Good luck, you will have a whale of a time!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You don't believe that do you? You can't really.

I know it. Son is a product of British education. Did a law degree now is doing postgrad in Totonto, Canada. Top of year. Thanks to UK schools!
Wife studied law too, on distance. Uni of Liverpool. Did the 4th year on Oxford.

There is a reason UK universities are full of foreign students.

The only education UK is internationally substandard is in Dentistry, I am sorry to say. Not only are the clinicisnd of less than good quality, research is not where it should be.
MD's are top, engineering, many, many fields are internationally on top!
Just imho of course!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
So you take a student, an average student, a blank canvas.

You place that student, let’s call her Jane, in a number of situations…

Firstly an inner city school, overcrowded and in a poor area with high violent and drug related crime. Where the student population has very little hope for the future which leads them to be disruptive in class much of the time. The classes are huge, sometimes 40 students take part in a class (If they aren’t truant).

Secondly, in a very rural setting, where the school isn’t really large enough, and the local area too sparsely populated to get the proper funding to attract good teachers from the city. Most of the pupils are from families that live and work in agriculture and don’t really care about algebra or world history. The classes can often incorporate multiple year groups due to teacher shortages and there is little to no technology available for teaching.

Thirdly, in a leafy London suburb with good rail links and high house prices. The school is well funded and has a diverse student body, well trained staff who like the part of town they work in. The school has good leadership and lots of parent involvement and a track record of academic achievement and good university success.

Do you think Jane will achieve the same success in each school? Do you think Jane will be bullied or subjected to levels of violence in her daily life in each school? If, while in school 1 or 2, Jane does not achieve her potential – does she have only herself to blame?

I submit to you that you are wholly wrong in your very poorly formed opinion of education in the UK.

… And not very nice.

... And there seems to be nothing h about your o.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Well, Squidders, what do YOU suggest UK should do to fix the situation? At the end, it is Jane that decides if she wants to skip school, do drugs and get pregnant age 15. Nobody else.
Son had classmates from broken, socially disfunctional families. They have a drive to do well. That is all it takes. Do not blame the teachers, school funding and so on.

I am a person that thinks the glass is half full. Just the way I am.

Last edited:

chris123

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2016
norwich
Property guardians get to live rent free in empty buildings by providing security and preventing squatting. I don't know all the details but a quick Google search will give you the info you need. Seems like the ideal solution to me. Good luck to you young fella. Some harsh responses on here but what we do is different to just living rent free on a tent. You can't leave no trace if your still there :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Excuse me if you don't fit the age requirements 18 - 35 but, I thought I would mention this organisation, they used to be called CSV (Community Service Volunteers) and they helped me avoid being out on the streets back in the 90's. Food, Shelter & Pocket money provided for helping yourself and others. https://volunteeringmatters.org.uk/volunteering-information/full-time-volunteering/

No connection, they just helped me out. WHO CAN VOLUNTEER?
No previous experience or specific qualifications are required

You need to be:

Able to commit for 6-12 months for 35-40 hours a week
Aged between 18 – 35
Able to move away from home and be placed anywhere in the UK
Willing to be matched to a project where your help is most needed
Able to provide two suitable references
A UK, EU or EEA national and resident in the UK (If you are not a UK or EU/EEA national living in the UK, please contact us for more information)
WHAT DO YOU RECEIVE?
Our volunteers receive:

Free accommodation
Subsistence to cover food and day to day expenses
Travel expenses to and from your project
Return travel home every four months
Support and relevant training
Certificate and reference

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Janne, when pontificating on what is lawful and what is not and the inadequacies of people and the system in the UK please bear in mind that many people (and organisations such as Oxfam) find the existence of tax havens such as the Cayman Is (the last time I checked it was 3rd on Oxfam's list of worst offending tax havens) pretty repugnant.

The roots of the problems currently facing the UK are many and varied but the deep cuts to UK healthcare, education and social housing budgets and the rampant inflation in the housing market which make it difficult for many to afford to rent letalone to buy a home mean that for many the glass really is less than half full.

I'm not saying that recovering the tax revenue being lost to the UK by ingenious tax avoidance schemes and illegal evasion arrangements run through a handful of unscrupulous territories would be a universal panacea gor the UK's ills but it would do no harm.

The impact of the dirty money laundered through such tax havens on the UK property market is impossible to quantify but it is safe to assume that Russian oligarchs buying multi million £ properties in Mayfair has a knockon effect further down the chain meaning thst ordinary people not lucky enough to get on the property ladder in time or without family money to help them are pretty stuffed.

Having your property burgled is not nice but is some scrote jemmying a shed door at night really worse than a well-heeled ex-pat (in all probability with the benefit of the best education that money can buy) sitting on a desert island enjoying a very full cocktail glass after a day helping ensure that some of the nastiest people on the planet (most of whom have an unquestionable "drive to do well") to enjoy the fruits of their dishonest endeavours? Now I'm sure you wouldn't knowingly associate with burglars but its difficult to see how anyone working on an island which has an economy dedicated to servicing the needs of those who have come by their wealth by unlawful means or just feel that taxes are for "little people" can claim to have an unassailable foothold on the moral highground.

You (as you frequently let us know), have done well for yourself by your own efforts and are clearly comfortable with the mores of your current residence but please do not assume that everyone shares your talents and attitudes.
Well, Squidders, what do YOU suggest UK should do to fix the situation? At the end, it is Jane that decides if she wants to skip school, do drugs and get pregnant age 15. Nobody else.
Son had classmates from broken, socially disfunctional families. They have a drive to do well. That is all it takes. Do not blame the teachers, school funding and so on.

I am a person that thinks the glass is half full. Just the way I am.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
One of my friends came from a childrens home; but she worked hard, and studied at Oxford.

Chris idea is worth looking at.

I have stayed on `so called` tax havens and found them of very vibrant economies. Not people doing nothing.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
hyperblue, have you looked into renting a caravan on a site? Ask around, there might be something available that is cheaper than your flat.

I'm not sure that the UK's education system is broken, but the job opportunities in some sectors are certainly very limited. I'm also unconvinced that it is worth getting a degree anymore, with all the attendant debt. Modern apprenticeships seem to be a better deal, but are only worthwhile if you know what you want to do.

Having lived off-grid on a boat, I echo what Janne said about washing clothes etc. It is hard work. Living in a tent would be even harder. That's ignoring any issues of legality and the practicality of finding locations for pitching a tent.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Nomad, your post is so wrong and full of misconceptions and s#it it is plain ridiculous. Shows what kind of person you truly are.
Instead of spending your time shouting slogans outside the next G8 meeting you should enroll in evening classes and educate yourself.

Hyperblue, have you asked the place where your work is if you can rent a space?
Or stay in the car park for free? Sometimes we can get surprised what they allow!

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Hyperblue, if you plan to go the "sleeping in vehicle" route, think carefully what car you buy. You do not want to lose too much money when you sell. An old Defender is cheap to buy, cheap to repair and service, and sell well without losing too much money.
And is roomy enough to live in. Model 110 or 130 is anyway!

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hyperblue, if you plan to go the "sleeping in vehicle" route, think carefully what car you buy. You do not want to lose too much money when you sell. An old Defender is cheap to buy, cheap to repair and service, and sell well without losing too much money.
And is roomy enough to live in. Model 110 or 130 is anyway!

A Defender is many things, Cheap to buy is not one of them!

hyperblue

Jan 8, 2017
Salisbury, England
Education in UK is just as good or bad as the student.
It is quite commo for the state not to limit the various educations, as it keeps the wages down. I know, I know, I am being mean again.....
All countries do it.

Once you get that training done, you should be able to work on many countries worldwide?
Australia, NZ, Africa.
It is a huge plus that you speak English!
Good luck, you will have a whale of a time!

There are many countries with much better systems, from my experience it has truly become a game of how much money can they take while offering as little as possible. To give a specific example, my university provided us with access to there library, perfectly located within the city center, for the first year. In the second year much of the students dropped out due to the horrendous lack of support from the university (another story in itself), leaving only about 10 students. They transfered our course to another university (UEA) without notifying us before we enrolled for the second year, I can only presume because they knew none of us would have enrolled on the next year if we had known. After this our lectures were delivered at a local college in the countryside which was difficult for travelling too. We only had access to UEA's library in Norwich which was 50 miles away, so essentially no library. What I racked up £27,000 of debt for I do not know.

Having said all that I'm doing a masters in environmental management part time now, in the hope that the open university will prove to be better. I certainly hear good things about them.

Part of the education lies with the student, their input, but the universities are supposed to provide the resources, lectures etc. that is what we pay for.

I certainly hope so, they seem to be well recieved within wildlife education and guiding sectors!

Regards

David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE