Wild Camping Northern England / Scottish Borders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2015
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Completely new to this forum, I'm currently organising to go camping for a weekend in the near future with a couple of friends (3 max) and was wondering if anyone could suggest a few spots in Northern England or the Southern Scotland?

I live in Tyne and Wear and don't want to be driving for too long for a weekend camp. Any suggestions?

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Welcome aboard :) for wild camping you are better off in Scotland. I live in Canonbie right on the border, there are a few places around such as Ettrick forest park, or the Galloway forest park I have heard good things about. There is also Kielder forest on the english side. Only lived here 6 months and haven't had much time to explore, but will let you know if I can think of any others in the vicinity.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Welcome to BCUK fellow Geordielander, like Dreadhead says it's a no go on the legal side in Northern England Sadly Kielder is totally off limits to wild campers but it is very near the border and once across the border you have the right of free access to the land, Galloway Forest park is awesome, also Wooplaw Community Woodland is not too far across the border, for local Tyne and Wear you can properly camp in Brockwell Woods on Blaydon Burn farm for a small fee per head and they welcome conscientious bushcrafty types and allow a campfire as long as you clean up after yourself

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There's a woman I used to go to school with who goes wild camping all over the place. Often pretty much on the top of the fells.
I'll ratch out a link to her blog when I finish work.

Crassy84

Forager
Oct 22, 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Welcome to BCUK fellow Geordielander, like Dreadhead says it's a no go on the legal side in Northern England Sadly Kielder is totally off limits to wild campers but it is very near the border and once across the border you have the right of free access to the land, Galloway Forest park is awesome, also Wooplaw Community Woodland is not too far across the border, for local Tyne and Wear you can properly camp in Brockwell Woods on Blaydon Burn farm for a small fee per head and they welcome conscientious bushcrafty types and allow a campfire as long as you clean up after yourself

Would absolutely agree about blaydon woods, the folks who own it are lovely and it's a good middle ground for newer wild campers

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Cheers, they're coming along nicely i put three viking braids into it the other day and couldn't stop laughing, i looked like i belonged in that animated movie How To Train Your Dragon

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
There are several authorised wild camping spots in Keilder forest. A list of them could be optained from tourist info at keilder castle. Most were just big enough for a couple of tents, some had a stream nearby for water!

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Sounds good to me, see what the numbers end up at, when were you thinking of and how long, 2 nights would be good

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Sorry forgot about this fellas have been busy, I'm away for the weekend but will get on it next week and call up the Kielder office to discuss locations and numbers, and will start a seperate thread so as not to hijack this one :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE