Wild Camping near French Pyrenees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Mountjoy

May 24, 2015
France
Hi

First post on the forum.

I've been trawling through the internet to find out some info about wild camping 'campsites' [if they even exist?]

I used to get out a fair bit when I still lived in the UK and did some great wild camps in the Welsh Borders [Black mountains area].

My wife and I run a small organic farm in south-west France, near the foothills of the Pyrenees Mountains.We have 31 hectares [around 76 acres] of really unspoilt rolling land covered with dense oak forest and wildflower meadows.We get loads of roe deer, wild boar, foxes, badgers, pine martin and even mouflon [wild mountain sheep] from time to time.

So my main reason for this post is to ask if anyone knows of any campsites / landowners etc offer opportunities for wild campers to pitch a bivi-bag / tarp on their land in exchange for a small fee?

I know it seems to contradict the whole idea of Wild Camping, yet our whole life is dedicated to nature and we'd like to open up the land we managed to get for people who have a similar love and natural respect for nature.

We're also trying to make a basic living and thus are exploring the idea of charging a small fee for wild campers to come and stay on our patch, where we have an outdoor shower and compost toilet.
Any feedback would be gratefully received.
Thanks

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
In the Parc National des Bouillouses (Pyrenees Oriental 66), bivouacs are happily tolerated if for only one night. My wife and I have happily pitched beneath the stars in either small tent or tarp and bivvy and been greeted with a cheerful Bonjour from the mounted gendarmerie.

Or were you looking for exchange sites in the UK? Scotland and Dartmoor seem to be the best options.

I hope your idea catches on, I'm fed up with the proliferation of all-mod-con glamping-type sites all over Europe and year for the return to the type of site you suggest: which used to be the norm when I was young. I'd happily pay a fee for NOT having kiddy playgrounds in places with trees and rocks to climb and snack bars and discos ruining the peace of the wild.

PS Welcome to the forum!

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
Sounds like a great idea. I'd put the word out on as many relevant forums as you can find both in the UK and here in France. It's a thing I'd certainly use - although this year I'm doing the GR10 so will probably be miles from where you are. But nice idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE