Wild Camping Issues

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
There might be something else. I have heard that a lot of people are not sleeping as well as normal as a result of the lockdown and quarantining measures. People have more worries and fewer group interactions, which could be disturbing for even normally cheerful soloists. I myself have found that I have been sleeping badly more often, and waking at about 4:45 in the morning, as it gets light and the birds start singing, even when I am at home, with the windows and curtains closed!
My Guy has that too. He wakes with the birds then can't drift back off because of things that are on his mind. No amount of jelpful suggestions from me do any good. It is quite frefor him.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Please clarify some of those irrational fears. I don’t mean extreme specifics: just are they fears related to the camping trip? Or just general anxieties that follow you there from civilization? I often get caught up in everything that’s going wrong at home (or at work before I retired) and even the isolation of a trip afield doesn’t clear my mind.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
When I was working, I had plenty of things that kept me awake at night worrying. I have now been retired for 20 years but still wake in the night and my half awake mind starts to look for things to worry about. I really think this is an atavistic thing- a fear that was once rational in a wilder world kept alive although no longer so necessary. I thing the OP implies that his fear is irrational, but I don't think it is. One gets used to the normal night noises and it is the unusual that enters the consciousness.

Although I sleep soundly at home, usually right through the night, when travelling, I come half wake several times listening and looking before drifting back to sleep. I'm often dozy in the morning, yet an unexplained noise or movement in the middle of the night can bring me instantly awake and alert. It's not so easy to get back to sleep then. This has to be a primitive trait.

The debate about open shelters versus tents is interesting. I prefer a tents as it gives me a, perhaps false, illusion of being cocooned in safety whereas Madame hates tents and has always been happier in an open shelter where she can see out. Our advancing age has solved the argument as most of the time we use a campervan with darkened windows: we can see out, but they can't see in.

I was once told that the British Army prefers bashas and bivvies because when campaigning in Africa in colonial days, the enemy used to sneak up in the night and spear our chaps through the tents walls. Doesn't say much for the efficiency of the sentries. Napoleon was very much in favour of the bivvy, although he himself mostly used a horse-drawn version of the camper-van.

SootyFingers

Jun 8, 2020
United Kingdom
Well thank you all very much for your advice, I've read over all of your posts and taken notes and giggles! I very much appreciate it and will be testing out some pointers in a couple of days! It all started out fine in a tent for the first week, I was thoroughly enjoying it and having a nice contained fire until up to midnight, relaxing with a sleep easy infusion tea - couldn't complain, wasn't spooked at all and then in to week 2, that's when my fear of the dark began! A thread that I may just have glance over now! Seemingly out of nowhere! Not being able to see the outside turned a little claustrophobic, being aware of every noise, every twig snap and tree move in the wind had me sure certain death was just outside the paper thin confines of my tent! A killer deer whose antlers are sharpened for my demise. And once my tent door was zipped up, there was no way I was opening it until sunrise. It got so bad that I would have to make sure my fire was out before dark to make sure I was zipped up in my tent! It's absolutely ridiculous I know. In reality there's nothing out there that could hurt me, during the day I'm confident but come dusk, the deer calls become battle cries and I'm sure I'm going to get abducted by aliens..and no, I don't even drink, 100% straight edge. So I've gone out and got myself a tarp and bivvi set up, fingers crossed it will deliver some positive results! I will be sure to let you guys know! Again, I very much appreciate all the feedback and advice, you people are great!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Did you read or watch any...eh-hem...inadvisable books or films between week 1 and week 2?
For example:
51%2BDtEYcbTL._SX381_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You could try ear plugs? Your imagination is getting over active, so cutting down on the input could help.

Have you been doing all this camping in the same area? How far is it from where you live, are you able to go in and sit in a spot as darkness falls, then go home when you want?

I have found myself spooked in a few places in the woods. Nothing logical, just got it into my head that "it wasn't a good place". Once that idea has landed, it is hard to shift it, especially as the shadows lengthen. A change of location can help. As can just sitting quietly in the area and watching for a few hours as dark falls. Maybe see the deer quietly moving through to graze beyond the woods edge, watching the badgers's caution when exiting their setts and then their way of busying around, and the sound of them scratching their fleas!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
If all else fails there’s always that old favorite of humans since the earliest of time: take a dog with you.
'Cause when said dog gets spooked more easily than you, you have to act confident and be reassuring. Dogs are really good at throwing that instant fearful look over their shoulder, by the way, and you know they've got very keen hearing...

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I used to be fine bivving under a hedge or tree for years. I'd not even have a tarp. One night while watching badgers I was almost asleep and something warm heavy and furry ran over my legs. I screamed... the Badger screamed! We both ran in opposite directions and I didn't stop till I got home.. leaving everything behind.!
I have a good giggle about it now and have gotten over those silly fears... mostly.
I still prefer, both for safety, and comfort, a hammock nowadays.
I don't tend to find ticks on me or in a sleeping bag any more hanging from a tree! :)
I've had encounters with wild boar in France whilst zipped in a tent ... that was tense!
In the UK there isn't much to hurt at all, and if you are nervous a good stout stick placed ready to grab might give you a better sense of security.
I think we all go through periods of nervousness camping alone.
Take a buddy?

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
'Cause when said dog gets spooked more easily than you, you have to act confident and be reassuring. Dogs are really good at throwing that instant fearful look over their shoulder, by the way, and you know they've got very keen hearing...
Depends on the dog. The ones I take camping aren’t particularly fearful (mostly hunting or shepherd breeds and raised outdoors) If I get another one I’d prefer another wolf/Malamute hybrid (that was one of the most awesome dogs I ever had but she had trouble taking the Florida heat when she got old) I also like Catahoula Curs, English Shepherds, Belgian Malinois, German Shepherds, Boxers, and Bulldogs. But the reality is I’ll fall for whatever puppy picks me.

Reactions: Robbi

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
A lot of dogs get very stressed if outside. They bark behind every mouse.

I recommend to use military poncho or tarp and bivvy bag and to buy a strong torch, that you can see, who makes the noise. Usually it's a mouse 5 to 20 metres away.

In earlier times records with animal's voices were available. I guess that stuff you can find nowadays in the internet.

When I was young I heard the animals when I was sleeping. Today I sleep like a stone in the woods, probably because I am used to the sounds.

If possible go for camping with a second person. That's obviously more secure, and you get used to the nature.

Try to change the side you sleep on. Most people fall asleep better on the left shoulder in times of peace, but start thinking about tomorrow on the right.

The bivvy bag flap of the German army zipped bivvy bag (Carinthia) forces the sleeper to sleep on the right side. If he is just stressed emotionally, it's better to roll on the right shoulder and to think, that we will manage the situation professionally.

The Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag puts the sleeper on the left shoulder, his flap is overlapping at the opposite side. One of the reasons why I bought it.

Which is your preferd shoulder you get out in your bed at home.

I understood very late, that thinking concentrated in the evening keeps me awake the whole night. It doesn't matter what I am thinking.

Earlier I thought it would be problems I thought about. But last year I understood that packing my complete standard equipment for a longer journey, for me and a colleague plus papers and maps and organizing stuff in the last evening before starting destroys my good nights sleep.

That are standard tours, like others go to office tomorrow. But I pack a larger car of different stuff.
If I packed the stuff a day before I sleep the last night before starting like a baby.

So I just can recommend to stop thinking. Just sit and look, drink a tea, play with your knife or whatever.

I think a lot of people who get problems outdoors are used to watch TV at home.
Would they switch it of early in the afternoon, they wouldn't sleep in their own bed at home.

Get a full stomach! Eat bread and cheese for example. Chocolate and Salami.

If possible carry your rucksack 30 to 40 km every day, look for a sleeping place 2 hours before sunset, pitch your camp at sunset, eat enough and fall asleep.

That's surely the easiest way to fall asleep in the woods.

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We always made camp 3-5 hours before sunset to enjoy the venue.
Important to optimize your living circumstances, to get comfortable,
long before light, dark and shadows are an issue.

Big deal is cooking and eating. Pursuits like wood carving come after the fact.
I will get the fires going and the food started. Holmes1013As.jpgThe other people do things as needed.
I have little experience with a power saw so firewood is procured and cut by the best of us.
One guy has endless rope and tarps for solid comfort in the wind and rain. Where he keeps that stuff,
none of us have ever figured out.
There's a really nice and grassy spot to the left of this picture.
No water so no Black Flies and that is a welcome bonus.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Welcome to the Forum SF - I hope you get a lot out of it.

I have been wild camping solo since I was a teenager (at the time when the moors murders were taking place over the other side of the country) and I would be lying if I said there were not times when I've felt unnerved. From my experience there a few things you can do and a few things you should not do if you're nervous:

1) don't camp near a stream or river - the noise of the water that masks any other noise is disturbing; i.e. the realisation you can't hear anybody/thing approaching is worrying.
2) don't drink too much alcohol; it tends to increase your imagination rather than dull it (to a point)
3) go out with a buddy - camping apart but within shouting distance until you settle to doing it again
4) cut yourself a stout stick about a metre or so long (a Shillelagh) and have it with you - you'll never need it but it will help
5) make sure you get plenty of physical activity in the day - a long walk, a canoe journey, a cycle ride will help sleep (obviously)
6) pitch with your back to something - a big tree, a rock, a wall …. I don't know why but it helps to think that nothing can approach from behind
7) do not, on any account, watch scary camping videos (such as Dog Soldier)
Good advice! I remember wild camping some years ago and watching Dog Soldiers on my iPad one evening and not getting a terribly good night's sleep at all as every sound I heard I thought I was about to be torn to shreds!!

A few precautions I always take just prior to settling down:

1. Go for a pee even if you dont think you need one!
2. Never leave your boots outside
3. Always go to sleep on a full stomach
4. Always keep a torch or headlamp at hand in case you need it later
5. Never ever ever mix up your drink bottle with your night time pee bottle!
6. Dont camp too near running water as the sound makes you want to pee!!

Just a few things that have stuck in my mind over the years :)

Cheers
DW

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good advice! I remember wild camping some years ago and watching Dog Soldiers on my iPad one evening and not getting a terribly good night's sleep at all as every sound I heard I thought I was about to be torn to shreds!!

A few precautions I always take just prior to settling down:

1. Go for a pee even if you dont think you need one!
2. Never leave your boots outside
3. Always go to sleep on a full stomach
4. Always keep a torch or headlamp at hand in case you need it later
5. Never ever ever mix up your drink bottle with your night time pee bottle!
6. Dont camp too near running water as the sound makes you want to pee!!

Just a few things that have stuck in my mind over the years :)

Cheers
DW

And NEVER! Never under any circumstance! Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the Same night!

Reactions: Robbi

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
And NEVER! Never under any circumstance! Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the Same night!
Good advice mate! I have never done that but I did eat a dodgy chicken once which decided to rapidly escape my system without warning at 3am while I was fast asleep in my sleeping bag. That camping trip got cut short!!

Reactions: santaman2000

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I had disturbing dreams when I was on North Rona.

...As a lot of visitors seem to suffer...

But then I saw the Leaches petrels, noctournal birds, who make very strange sounds.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I prefer to camp in a closed in tent rather than an open shelter. That way, when I hear monsters crashing through the trees, the sound getting louder and louder as they rush towards me, I can rest in the knowledge that they will frighten away the aliens that are coming to abduct me . . . . . . . .

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
I prefer to camp in a closed in tent rather than an open shelter. That way, when I hear monsters crashing through the trees, the sound getting louder and louder as they rush towards me, I can rest in the knowledge that they will frighten away the aliens that are coming to abduct me . . . . . . . .
Plus there is no way they will get at you cause you are protected by the door of your tent eh?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE