wild camping in the brecon beacons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

j_robi

Aug 26, 2009
SW Wales
Hi guys

I'm hoping to go for a wild camp on the weekend, just saturday night probably. Will hopefully find a couple of hour walk from the road, camp up somewhere with a nice sunset with noone else around!

Any ideas as to locations (maybe with a water hole?), suggestions etc...

thank you
joe

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
The Brecon Beacons National Park Authority allow wild camping at Llech Llia north of Ystradfelte. OS map ref is SN 922193. You can easily spot it on the map. I've not camped there myself but I was planning to check it out in June. Unfortunately I can't make it this weekend or I'd suggest joining you there. There is a stream and spring nearby apparently. Camping must be out of sight of the road and beside the ruins of Llech Llia.
Details are here http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/visiting/camping.htm
Just scroll down to 'camping on farms' for the pdf leaflet.
Hope you have a nice time.

j_robi

Aug 26, 2009
SW Wales
The Brecon Beacons National Park Authority allow wild camping at Llech Llia north of Ystradfelte. OS map ref is SN 922193. You can easily spot it on the map. I've not camped there myself but I was planning to check it out in June. Unfortunately I can't make it this weekend or I'd suggest joining you there. There is a stream and spring nearby apparently. Camping must be out of sight of the road and beside the ruins of Llech Llia.
Details are here http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/visiting/camping.htm
Just scroll down to 'camping on farms' for the pdf leaflet.
Hope you have a nice time.

that looks like the kind of place i want to go. Although I fancy a nice walk to get there first. How big an area cano you camp in ie would it be likely that other campers would be around?

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I did a wild camp in the brecons a few years back during winter (lots of snow and few people) walked over Pen y fan and followed the path for a few miles. The next morning I woke early (cold) and broke camp to walk back, going over the summit of Pen y fan I came across a couple of military types laying in their sleeping bags. I'm not sure who was more surprised them or me! They didn't say anything, just stared at me as I walked past (probably thinking who is that nutcase walking around the hills at this time in the morning). I have since found out about a certain military group from Hereford use it as training venue.
Great walk and a great place to wake up looking off the ridge.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
that looks like the kind of place i want to go. Although I fancy a nice walk to get there first. How big an area cano you camp in ie would it be likely that other campers would be around?

I was planning to park at the Storey Arms and walk westwards to link up with the old Roman road that passes close by Llech Llia, although this would involve losing a bit of height and then gaining it again. It looks to be about 4 1/2 miles or so. You might get one or two others around, but most likely you would be on your own. I think there is plenty of room in the area for you to camp & I dont think you are likely to be disturbed by a park ranger if you happen to be a little way away from the ruins.

j_robi

Aug 26, 2009
SW Wales
I was planning to park at the Storey Arms and walk westwards to link up with the old Roman road that passes close by Llech Llia, although this would involve losing a bit of height and then gaining it again. It looks to be about 4 1/2 miles or so. You might get one or two others around, but most likely you would be on your own. I think there is plenty of room in the area for you to camp & I dont think you are likely to be disturbed by a park ranger if you happen to be a little way away from the ruins.

looking for a 4 mile ish walk, then a nice spot to camp up at with noone around, nice scenery and quiet etc

any ideas of routes?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
You don't see many people in the Carmarthen Fan area - i.e. the far west of the Park. I've wild camped there on several occasions. (Insert provisos and disclaimers regarding the legality of wild camping...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE