Wild camping in Snowdonia??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
This may seem like a stupid question, but I know little about the area other than the few trips I've had there, but what kind of wild camping is available in Snowdonia? What would be the best places etc?

A friend and I are planning on going in February kind of time, would this be stupidly early in the year in terms of temps or would this be ok?

Sorry for all the questions just I know little about the area!

Jackdaw

Make sure your kit is up to it. If it is, then try the Moelwyns. Not as high as the bigger hills, but very quiet and you would be very unlucky to be moved off by the NT staff.

There are some rumours afoot that Wales will be following in the footsteps of Scotland by granting rather permissive access rights that are likely to include wild camping. However, if you end up on National Trust land you stand the risk of getting moved on.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Thanks for the reply. Ah ok that sounds decent then, so are the Moelwyns still in Snowdonia then? And what do you mean by kit being up to it, in terms of it being able to cope with the cold?

Well that'd be handy if that were the case!

Thanks for the help dude :)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I spent three days in the Moelwyns once, several years ago. I caught the train to Blaenau Ffestiniog then walked through the Moelwyns to finish at Betws y Coed. Wild camped both nights with no problems (set up late, leave early). Gorgeous area but make sure your nav skills are up to it as it is pretty trackless in places and, as a previous poster said, you don't see many other people about. Finished by climbing Moel Siabod from the back - very nice!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
don't take the p and go to crowded places, or by houses, and thats not hard, and smile if the farmers see you. Don't go to snowdon or idwal or dolgelleu whatever it is, or the busy places like capel curig , or the busy places etc and you'll be fine. Lake vyrnwy, bala, aron fawr, mollelwyan south of dolgellu west of snowdon, you can get lost for days especially out of season. So I guess it depends what your looking for. As for the kit, I've had a water bottle freeze solid in june ! The moors heathcliff, the moors !

Jackdaw

And what do you mean by kit being up to it, in terms of it being able to cope with the cold?

Your waterproofs had better be waterproof (I would recommend Paramo) and your nav skills need to be up to it as the place gets covered in cloud a lot. If they are suspect then make sure you take a GPS just in case so you can relocate yourself on the map. A tent is highly advisable as well, though I have bashered up in the hills before.

The water is okay from the fast flowing streams but I boil it myself so a decent stove is a must. Personally I use a Jetboil simply because they are so easy to use.

I am a Mountain Leader and these hills are used to train and test new MLs for a reason. But that reason is exactly why a lot of people don't go there.

The Moelwyns are to on the other side of the Llanberis pass from Snowdon.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
As others have said, with the variable weather in that region your kit is the absolute priority; you have simply got to have quality waterproofs and the right shelter and sleeping kit.

As they have also said; be sensible about where you pitch; don't draw attention to yourself and you should have no problem finding isolated places. I admire your attitude going up there in February!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You
The Moelwyns are to on the other side of the Llanberis pass from Snowdon.

Fail on your ML! :)

Erm - that is the Glyders!
The Moelwyns are the other side of Cwm Gwynant to Snowdon (SE of Snowdon not NE)
I am also an ML and have been for over 20 years, lived and worked in Snowdonia.... and staffed outdoor centres up there!

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
best advice I can give is check weather forecast, and do not be ashamed to "quit", if the weather gets too much. Ive had a couple of camps where I simply went home because the weather got too bad, and I do not regret it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks for the reply. Ah ok that sounds decent then, so are the Moelwyns still in Snowdonia then? And what do you mean by kit being up to it, in terms of it being able to cope with the cold?

Well that'd be handy if that were the case!

Thanks for the help dude :)

Don't take this the wrong way but if your unsure of the kit needed for winter camping in Snowdonia I'd leave the trip until the summer months.

There is a camp site open all year round a mile or so from Capel Curig (can't remember the name now) that has a toilet block and not much else so if your happy with your experience and equipment look at staying there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moel_Siabod Is a nice introduction to Snowdonia.

Make sure you have good waterproofs, jacket and trousers, take your emergency kit, food for the day and some back up stuff like chocolate, take your map, compass and mobile phone and as others have said don't worry about returning to camp...the weather up there can change in the blink of an eye so stay very very safe.

kaiAnderson

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2013
Liverpool
im planning on going wild hammocking in a spot ive spied out up the watkin path while taking my dog up to the summit. think I'll take her too, see how she copes sleeping out.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I camped next to Llyn Caseg Fraith last summer, around May time I think. Forecasts were for light winds in Betws, which translate to mid to high winds high up. We set off from Capel Currig in reasonable conditions, climbed the ridge to Y Foel Goch and entered cloud from then on until we returned the following day. I had a 5 deg rated bag, but still wished I'd had my Alpkit Skyehigh with me instead, the wind howled up to 40mph, the ground was very boggy, navigation was tricky due to cloud and wind and the terrain was difficult (especially for my son :11). So to summarise, prepare for the worst, plan for the best, make sure you can navigate in poor conditions, ensure your shelter is up to wild conditions (pegs get pulled out in the boggy, windy conditions), have a backup plan (escape route) and be prepared to use it (the hills will still be there later in the year), ensure you've got enough food, and finally, as others have said waterproofs, waterproofs, waterproofs! Oh and have fun!

Jan 13, 2014
United Kingdom
One of my top walks is the Nantlle ridge starting from Rhyd-Ddu. You can park up there safely and we have camped out over the back of Trum y Ddysg and you wont have any worries.Lovley view out over Caernarfon to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE