Wild camping in Scotland. Need some advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
When camping in Scotland i sleep inside a dd travel hammock used on the ground as bivvi an midge net cocoon under my tarp, it's perfect and a guaranteed midge free nights sleep

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I had a DD tropical but a stray knife blade pierced through the bag and entire hammock so now use a generic parachute hammock and home made tubular net. Works great but unfortunately can't be used on the ground

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
sadly my hammock has never been used as a hammock due to my back problems, it's just a really fancy ground bivvi :)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Hey whatever works right? Better have a comfortable night it does nobody any good to wake up crippled. If it gets really cold I sometimes use a little dugout/A-frame shelter I built at my regular spot ages ago and keep maintained. Its well insulated and waterproofed so I would sooner abandon the hammock and crawl in there when the weather turns. Guess I won't have that option in Scotland though I can't imagine wardens being happy about people knocking up shelters

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
no they are very big on the leave no trace approach, have you decided what part of scotland you're gonna visit?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I agree on the LNT principal, but the custodian of the woods I camp in encourages me to build things like that because he uses them and if I'm not mistaken allows a scout leader to use the land to teach so helps both of us out really. The area south of dundonnel mentioned by Steve sounds ideal to be honest because it's a little more odd the beaten track. But there's nothing stopping me taking a few trips and trying out a few places our little group of 3 get out at least once a month and it's just a case of chipping in for diesel

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
The Galloway Forest Park is well worth an explore and the closest part of scotland to us lot

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
You could do worse than Sanna Bay..and you get to drive through an extinct volcano and look for some of the oldest fossils in the world. Google Earth it. No Trees i'm afraid, if you want a fire just grab some Logs from the petrol station at Fort William before you head out that way.

Sanna%20Bay_zpsnvitto6q.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE