Wild Camping in Ashdown Forest?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 10, 2007
London
Hi All,
Can anyone out there tell if it's still possible to wild camp in Ashdown Forest?
I seem to remember that as a young sea cadet we camped there whilst advex training. I don't know if we were supposed to though!

Cheers....Paul

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I had the same question in my mind yesterday, I have contacted them and the conservators.
Will let you know the response as I recieve it.
Bear in mind most of them dont reply.

Feb 10, 2007
London
I have just read the byelaws and it seems it is possible with the written permission of the conservators:

Byelaw 3. No person shall camp upon the Forest, whether in cars, campers, tents, caravans or sleeping bags. Without written permission from the Conservators, no one will park any vehicle on the Forest between the hours of midnight and 6am.

It was definitely in the forest that we camped before so might (!!) have had permission.

Might be worth a try?

Cheers....P

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Blacklands is a Guide campsite, there is a bit of woodland there but not a lot, and obviously you'd have to book in with the site. They might not like private individuals camping there - I know they take school groups though so who knows, give them a ring. Also it's not directly in the forest, it's a little way out at the other end of wierwood reservoir.

There are a couple of others - Broadstone Warren is the Scout site, it's right in the forest and fantastic - they don't take private campers though, I've asked - it's all to do with insurance apparently. They take commercial bookings if you have your own insurance. Your best bet is to join the Scouts ;) then you're laughing, there's loads of woodland and a couple of toilet blocks so you don't have to completely rough it (although most of the blocks are closed in the winter).

There used to be a council run yoof education site as well - Hindleap Warren, just over the road from the Scout site, I don't know if it's still there or if they take private campers - a quick Google should turn some info up.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
desert_emperor said:
Byelaw 3. No person shall camp upon the Forest, whether in cars, campers, tents, caravans or sleeping bags. Without written permission from the Conservators, no one will park any vehicle on the Forest between the hours of midnight and 6am.

So by that rational if you walked into the forest, built a leaf hut and only used a blanket in there then you'd be perfectly entitled to spend the night there?

Be nice if that was the case :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Big John said:
There used to be a council run yoof education site as well - Hindleap Warren, just over the road from the Scout site, I don't know if it's still there or if they take private campers

Hindleap are the same due to insurance issues.....no private camping on either site I'm affraid.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Feb 2, 2007
South London
Its a shame you cant camp on some of the Scout and Guides sites.
Ive visited a few now as my wife is GSL for our local scouts.
They are generaly nice bits of land with mixed wood and fields.
But I cant take the dog along as well, when they are runnig a camp, so Ill not be staying over to help out. They dont allow dogs on site.

Im surrounded by woodland here. You can access most of it, but even so some of it is rarely visited, even though we are in suburbia just outside Croydon.
There are a few that I havnt had time to explore yet.
Id like to find the owners and enquire if I can stay over the odd nights.
Is there any easy way to find the owners?
Any central registers of woodland? I think a lot of the land around here is owned by investors rather than local land owners. As I have occasionaly seen some of it up for sale. Out of my price range though.

Feb 10, 2007
London
I have also contemplated an overnight in epping forest which is owned / managed by the Corporation of London. Its byelaws also prohibit camping and fires etc, but it's a vast area and densely wooded so you'd probably get away with it now and again!

Anyone else tried Epping??

Cheers....P

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
desert_emperor said:
I have also contemplated an overnight in epping forest which is owned / managed by the Corporation of London. Its byelaws also prohibit camping and fires etc, but it's a vast area and densely wooded so you'd probably get away with it now and again!

Anyone else tried Epping??

Cheers....P

Best not to talk about sneaking in the odd unautherised camp on this site, it's an open site and we do have members from the FC and NT who take a dim view on "stealth camping".

I know there's no harm meant but it is against the law and so should not be condoned here.

Hope you guys find somewhere nice (and legal) to camp soon.

All the best,

Bam. :)

Reactions: Toddy
Feb 10, 2007
London
Bam,
I completely agree with the sentiment but feel even the members of the aforementioned organisations must feel frustrated at times with the actual lack of freedom to follow such ways of life that were the tradition and make up of the country. Of course we must protect our natural environments and i accept that it would be very difficult to ascertain between who were genuine followers of bushcraft and traditional skills and who would seek to carelessly cause nuisance and damage.

Anyway apologies for the brief rant and from digressing form the original thread!!

All the best...P

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
BCUK is a very public forum; there are real issues with the abuse of landowners rights, etc., down your way.
BCUK cannot condone illegal activity and your co-operation in keeping the site safe is much appreciated.

cheers,
Toddy

Feb 10, 2007
London
I am now a little fearful that my own opinions may delve into subjects too close to the politics of land access. As such i am probably better off just reading and not contibuting.

All the best....P

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
desert_emperor said:
I am now a little fearful that my own opinions may delve into subjects too close to the politics of land access. As such i am probably better off just reading and not contibuting.

All the best....P

Hmmmm. Well I'm a Scot and it's different up here. I understand the differences in the land access laws but it makes me all the more wary of the hassle it causes for other folks when illegal camping is discussed on the forum.
All that is required is that the forum is not seen to condone or encourage the practice, and that we don't discuss politics. Not a lot to ask really is it?
Please don't take this as discouraging, there have been many threads on where it is permissable to camp, where to meet up & actively be outdoors and discussion is all the richer for persopnal experience :)

atb,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE