wild bees

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
HI,

Just had to say this - I'm qute excited (sad person I know...)

I was about in the new forest having a wander with the wife and we found a nest of wild bee's in a hollow in the tree next to the path! I thought this was pritty amazing!

They were very placid - I didn't get too close, and no camera unfornatually.. I've never seen them in the UK before - seen a couple of Aus when I was a kid there, but not over here yet!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Dave, K
Bees are amazing creatures. I used to keep a couple of hives at home but had to give them up as I became allergic to the stings. They probably are quite placid at this time of the year as they are cold blooded and need heat to get them going, just like some of us in fact. They may be from a swarm earlier in the year and there might be a beekeeper near by. :)

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
i think i dug up some hibernating bumble bees today (thats what they were according to a friend) they looked young and like strange insects - also found from grubs with legs which may be grub bees?

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
wild bees - could have been a feral swarm from a nearby apiary. they would have been quiet at this time of year because they hibernate in the winter. best to leave them too it and maybe go back in summer with a bee suit to see if you can get any honey!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE