Wikiups for winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
For a minimalist camp in winter for up to ten days a lean to will require too much wood to be any use so i'm thinking of a wikiup type structure to save fuel.

Come up with some stumbling blocks though.

Would a tripod surrounded with as much dead wood as possible in a tipi shape suffice?

Would stuffing the gaps with any material to hand provide adequate protection from rain?

To have a fire would a simple small trench dug under a wall suffice for ventelation and still allow smoke to rise up and out?

udamiano

On a new journey
I think you may need to do a bit more research before attempting this IMO for example as you know the temperature ranges in Scotland can vary quite a lot from a sub-freezing snow blizzard to cold wet rain. The thermal protection your body needs to keep its core temperature will depend on much.again for example snow itself especially the light fluffy stuff has insulating properties (don't get confused here, its still Cold) but is heavy, so any shelter will need not only to be able to keep the snow of you, but also be strong enough to support the additional weight. you will also need a full length fire keeping your body warm and this will require a good deal amount of wood (most people really do underestimate how much wood they need to keep a fire going enough to provide warmth in he winter, and as such run out during the night) If it snowing then keeping off the ground is essential as the frozen ground will wick heat away from your body very quickly even with a mat, so additional insulation would also be needed.
If we are talking rain then your shelter needs to keep you dry and out of the wind, as being wet can also be very very bad in the cold north. the fire will suffer also in the rain, and make any further attempt to relight a problem, so your fuel needs to be dry and out of the weather. IMHO do a few dry runs very near to home first, in different conditions first. these will highlight any problems when your out. Remember though your core temperature only needs to drop by a little before your in real trouble, keep hydrated, dry, and warm.

I hope this helps mate, and I hope you have a real great safe time

Day

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Cheers bud.

Last january i slept in a lean to with a raised bed for 15 nights and i know it takes a hell of a lot of wood for a warming fire.

This is the reason i'm wanting an enclosed shelter so i'll need less wood.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Would a tripod surrounded with as much dead wood as possible in a tipi shape suffice?.."

I wouldn't think it would no, what about a 'five man shelter' type setup, perhaps reduced to three or four man, this would probably be a little more robust too.

"...Would stuffing the gaps with any material to hand provide adequate protection from rain?.."

With enough material yes.

"...To have a fire would a simple small trench dug under a wall suffice for ventelation and still allow smoke to rise up and out?..."

Yes, probably.

Take some pics.

:)

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
then you WILL need a big fire to keep you warm and to defend itself from snow\rain, if your having it in your shelter then you will have to insulate very well to avoid the heat melting fresh snow fall ans soaking you inside, so steep roof to track water down rather than drip in,

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
A tipi should do the trick. A tripod made of sturdy poles would be fine as the foundation of the structure. Then simply add other poles until you have the round shape. As for weatherproofing it, you will need a huge amount of natural material to do the job. I recommend a tarp wrapped around the perimeter leaving a smoke hole at the top. Regulating the emission of smoke is tricky and if you can I suggest a stove/fluepipe exiting through the apex. that will burn fuel more efficiently, provide a cooking platform and mean you will not be smoked out. one other thing, the hole at the apex will let rain in and in heavy downpours water will run down the tipi poles and leave more areas than just the middle wet. Stick an umbrella through the apex and lash it down with a small tarp. That way you still have the exit hole for the smoke but it is also protected from rain. Good luck. PS, tipis are also very stable in wind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE