Wi fi advice please

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
O/T but i'd like some advice from you lot that i trust.

I've put the desk top that's been unused for a while in my shed and want to access the internet.

Is it as simple as going to pc world and getting something that plugs into a usb port?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Have a look at home plugs. Can't link as I'm on my phone but if you put that into amazon they'll pop up. I have the tplink 200mps ones. Basically they use your mains power cables as a network and you get better speeds than using wifi. Had mine for about 6months and they work great. Presuming your shed has mains power of course.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Lidl were doing a WiFi range extender when I popped in to my local store on Monday. They might still have in stock. It combines a power line networking adapter and WiFi repeater/router. Should do the job a treat.

Plus one to Copper's suggestion of using Power line adapters. I've got four of them about my house (including one in my shed) and they are great. Just plug them in, press a button, and you're away. No tricky config is needed. The only issue you may have is if the power to your shed is completely separate from your normal mains circuit but that would be unusual. You can get them at PC World or Maplins, but they are far cheaper online. Most makes are interoperable now although different models offer different transmission speeds.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
+1 for powerline adaptors.

I tried a usb wifi device on the mother in laws old PC, it worked but the mouse then became erratic, possibly something to do with a lack of power on the usb bus, I swapped the keyboard, mouse and adaptor around a bit and found that certain combinations of usb ports worked ok.

:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If your shed has mains power from the house get a set of home plugs. Plug one in near your router and link to router via cable, other plug is pluged in in the shed and cable to your PC.

You could risk £5.99 and tryout this little adaptor to see if your wi fi hits the shed

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1427448.htm before spend more on the home plugs

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Browse?storeId=10151&langId=110&catalogId=24051&mRR=true&c_1=1|category_root|Technology|33006169&c_2=2|33006169|Laptops+and+PCs|33007795&c_3=3|cat_33007795|Networking|33017062&c_4=4|cat_33017062|Powerlines|33025798&r_001=8|Brands|TP-LINK|1

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Thanks guys, i'll try a usb first, the shed is only about 20 feet from the router which is in the rear upstairs bedroom.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Power line adaptors........ nooooooo they work but I'd be glad you don't live next door to me. Ham radio nightmare, RFI interference, noise hash all over the spectrum

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Got one by bt at pc world, installed it and all ok,however, windows did some updates and now it doesn't work.
Windows says the device (usb dongle) has malfunctioned, tried installing with the cd again and different ports but same message.
I'll take it back for a replacement tomorrow and try again.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Got one by bt at pc world, installed it and all ok,however, windows did some updates and now it doesn't work.
Windows says the device (usb dongle) has malfunctioned, tried installing with the cd again and different ports but same message.
I'll take it back for a replacement tomorrow and try again.

Just role back the driver mate

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE