Why a tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
An old friend has decided that he won’t be camping any more and has loaded my car with all his stuff.
He was more of a canvas caravaner than a wild camper so much of this will be spread across my family or disappear into the big wheelie bin in the sky.

But

I have now inherited my first tarp.
I’m holding onto this and a few sawn off poles for no other reason than that I see so many enthusiasts here on BcUK.

I’m a ground dweller and happy living inside or outside my tipi. Bushcraft isn’t always among trees.

I’m intrigued. Why do folk here use tarp shelters for preference? I’m unlikely to change but what can I learn?

Reactions: scruff and John59

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
An old friend has decided that he won’t be camping any more and has loaded my car with all his stuff.
He was more of a canvas caravaner than a wild camper so much of this will be spread across my family or disappear into the big wheelie bin in the sky.

But

I have now inherited my first tarp.
I’m holding onto this and a few sawn off poles for no other reason than that I see so many enthusiasts here on BcUK.

I’m a ground dweller and happy living inside or outside my tipi. Bushcraft isn’t always among trees.

I’m intrigued. Why do folk here use tarp shelters for preference? I’m unlikely to change but what can I learn?

It's a quick and completely adaptable shelter. You can make it low to the ground to hunker down, or you can just use it as a roof to keep rain off whilst you are able to stand up and walk around under it, or have a fire under it. It is lighweight and takes up little space as it is just one layer and does not require poles. You can use it as a shelter from the rain whilst still being 'outside', rather than within the confines of a tent.

You can also use it as a stretcher if you need to in a pinch.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I use a whole load of different sleep systems, from hammock to just sleeping under the stars directly on the ground, but dozing under a tarp with the fire lit and just throwing a log on now and again throughout the night is, for me, the most satisfying way to sleep out.

I even like waking in the morning with the frost around by face - it is the most refreshing way to sleep.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I like them for their flexibility - day shelter, or bivi/hammock cover, or additional living area when using a tent.

In recent camps, I've gone for tarp floor, sleeping pad and quilt, with a mosquito net and then a tarp overhead, but rolled back so that I can look up into the canopy when lying down, plus a log nearby that I can quickly tie the tarp off to if it starts raining. If I were in a tent, I wouldn't get that view upwards, though I suppose you could use the inner of a tent with suitable mesh patches in the roof, then with the fly sheet rolled back to expose those areas to look up into the canopy/sky, ready to be secured if it starts raining.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
......cos it rains in this country. It rains often and it normally rains even if they say it will not.
By all means sleep inside your tipi but sit outside with a cup of tea with a sun shade ( yeah fat chance) which will keep the rain off you.

Reactions: Billy-o and John59

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Versatility (though I generally stick to just one general set up), without claustrophobia, a great view in the morning, intimate connection with nature (I have had badgers and a fox visit in the night), fresh air ... just a few of the reasons I tarp - usually in a hammock :)

Reactions: scruff and bopdude

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Tarp shelter to sleep in or under, vs a tarp to provide camp shelter.
I like my hammock, so use a tarp with that when I can hang.
Camping with family or friends, a tarp can be strung between trees, poles or paddles to provide a dry kitchen, storage and eating area for the group.

Ray Jardine in Beyond Backpacking talks about benefits of tarps to tents, big one being less condensation. Although, camping on typical British camp sites means tarps can get loads of condensation because the grass is releasing moisture.

There is a gradual scale between a rectangular tarp at one end, and a modern folding pole tent at the other. In between there are shaped tarps, things like the TrailStar, floorless single pole tipis, and trekking pole tents.

Arguably, a floorless tipi has more in common with a tarp than it does an MSR Hubba tent.

Reactions: bopdude and Pattree

bearbait

You can also rig the tarp on your car, along with a pole or two. This can give you some shade or shelter when having a picnic. Or a little privacy if one of the picnic group needs a comfort break. You can rig it on the side of the car or over the boot. Or both. Regardless of the weather, the erection of a tarp gives you a little microclimate under it.

Different potential shelter shapes and types are available according to whether your tarp is square or rectangular, including, for example, completely enclosed tent-like setups.

A versatile piece of kit.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Thanks people.

So brailing the tipi would do the job, that or sleeping in my bivi bag.
I don’t get on much with hammocks, i don’t find them an easy sleep. I prefer my little camp bed. Also they need appropriately positioned trees which aren’t available at my favourite (authorised) pitches

I’m going to play with the tarp for a while and see how I get on. I don’t think it’s good enough for a GIO offer. It’s job was to be a kitchen roof when my friend went camping.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What’s it made from, I’m assuming it’s canvas? Even just used as an awning on the front of the tipi and you've got a dry cooking and sitting space.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Hang on. I’ll go and look.

IMG_6801.jpeg

Nah. It’s 3M x 3M polycotton. Very light weight.

I’m a solo camper and for preference would choose an isolated pitch; much easier in winter. Weather doesn’t stop me. I like to live out of doors when I’m camping. The tent is a night shelter more than anything.
If I use the tarpaulin I’ll leave the tipi in the car.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hang on. I’ll go and look.

View attachment 89721

Nah. It’s 3M x 3M polycotton. Very light weight.

I’m a solo camper and for preference would choose an isolated pitch; much easier in winter. Weather doesn’t stop me. I like to live out of doors when I’m camping. The tent is a night shelter more than anything.
If I use the tarpaulin I’ll leave the tipi in the car.
Ah, good stuff. I love the waxed canvas and old style tarp but a little lightweight like that and you can have a wind and rainproof shelter in a few minutes. I’ve got a DD one and split 100 feet of paracord into 4 with clips to attach wherever I needed them.

You can also have a tent, this is s great video.

Reactions: Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I can only hope that my car suspension will manage the extra 500gm - should I decide to take the tarp anywhere. ;)

My carrying days are long gone.:frown:

Edited to add:
My twenty tent pegs are probably heavier than most people shelter/tent set ups. (Think “Head Like A Hole”)

My tent poles are heavier than many people’s entire back packs plus their boots.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: C_Claycomb

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Sleep under the stars, feel closer to nature the countryside that cocooned in a tent. Tarp still gives an amount of weather protection.
And best of all more fun even after 30 years using them

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
I thought sleeping under a tarp, looking out at nature all around, sounded like a wonderful thing I'd like to do.

And then I started to stumble across the slug anecdotes...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE