Whose poos?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
Beside a hill burn on island of Mull (so a number of mainland species not present) about 1 mile in from coast, 500 feet above sea level. Spot not frequented by people - or their dogs. Two lots deposited within ten strides of one another. One lot absolutely fresh, faint fishy smell if any discernible scent (though everyone had colds...), other lot seemed a fair bit older. Wellies size 6.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
cat poop?

I've seen some wildcat poop look suspiciously similar to that, no one is sure if there is a wildcat population or not on Mull.

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
In my animal tracks and signs book none of the pictures really compare well, but the closest resemblance is the pine marten one. Though the second pics looks a bit too big for it.

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
Thanks for suggestions. Very frustrating, other images on the web don't have a wellie for size comparison. Colour of fresher deposit was really dark green and outwardly very homogenous, if that is any help. Didn't look so closely or take a sample of the other.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Apparently Goose poop is green and tubular....

coupled with the fishy smell???

It sure looks like otter to me. Our otter is same as yours. Always smells like fish and shape is good too. I never smelt goose poo which smells of fish, but maybe different goose in UK eat fish?
What would a goose feed on in your hill?

If you are lucky and pull it apart you may see small bones and/or fish scales. If it is small cat it will be with fur in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE