Who's footprints are these?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blutack

Nov 21, 2007
Glasgowish
A couple of years ago, we paddled and portaged into Loch an Doire Dhuibh, which is kinda behind Stac Pollaidh, near Ullapool.

Anyhow, at the Southwest corner of the loch, we found a fantastic wee beach for lunch.

Footprint-1.jpg

When we landed, we noticed the sand was covered in some wierd footprints. They were about the size a medium sized dog might leave, but without the claw prints. Anyhow, with apologies for the crap picture quality, can anyone hazard a guess as to what left them?

footprint2.jpg

footprint1.jpg

Cheers!

Blutack.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
That's a fantastic part of the country. isn't it. The prints could well be otter as they can be found in that area. Can you say how big they were, difficult to scale?:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A bit hard to tell but I'll go for otter probably, there looks to be some flattening between the toes which could be webbing.

Blutack

Nov 21, 2007
Glasgowish
Nice one - thanks guys!

I knew it wasn't a dog, but it didn't look quite right for a wildcat either. Never thought of otters, as I always associate them with the sea. It'd be a great place to live if you were an otter though - loads of fish and frogs etc to eat.

I did a quick google images search, and found this photo, which does indeed look very similar:

rum105a.jpg

(Link here to source page)

Cheers!!

Blutack.

I hope you do not mind me jumping in on this thread? I was going to suggest either otter or wild cat. I have looked high and low for a good book to help identify footprints and signs. I have found two very good books and thought I would share the information.

Animal Tracks and Signs by Preben Bang and Preben Dahlstrom.

To quote the back of the book. " A unique and classic field guide, Animal tracks and signs enables readers to identify mammals and birds from the traces they leave behind-whether footprints in mud, sand or snow; feeding marks on cones, nuts and trees; or droppings, feathers and pellets.
(recommended guide to keep handy by Ray Mears)

Tracking & The Art Of Seeing. How to read animal Tracks and signs by Paul Rezendes

Again a very good book with lots of pictures/examples. This also covers North American wildlife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE