Who has made instructionals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
For many years of accumilating both knowledge and experience I decided t start a book last year, I write until I got to a "stuck" point then let it rest for a few months and started again. But how many people actually read these books? There are so many on the market, DVDs seem to be the way to go here, it shows more in depth instruction and can be reviewed much faster. Has anyone made such things or had a want to?
I know that bushcraft at my school sometime needs additional instruction for some students after leaving as a reference, this might be the best way, what do you guys say?

Bri

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I think you're right Brian, DVDs are the way forward, although there will always be a place for books and I'm not suggesting DVDs should be the only way. There aren't many instructional ones that I know of - Ray Mears last Bushcraft series has a number of instructional clips at the end of it, such as knife sharpening, birch bark containers and the like.
It is very true that a picture paints a thousand words. How much more so a moving picture :)

Marts said:
I think you're right Brian, DVDs are the way forward, although there will always be a place for books and I'm not suggesting DVDs should be the only way. There aren't many instructional ones that I know of - Ray Mears last Bushcraft series has a number of instructional clips at the end of it, such as knife sharpening, birch bark containers and the like.
It is very true that a picture paints a thousand words. How much more so a moving picture :)

Yeah Marts, You said it! A picture goes a long way and a moving picture even better. I think that DVD is far more marketable and will appeal to more enthusiasts as well. You can sit and have popcorn with a DVD whereas a book.... thus the reason for the post Physical fitness and Survival LOL

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've got a video somewhere my wife bought me, I think it's from Johny's Survival School but I can't remember. If I thnk on I'll dig it out.

It's quite good but very basic, covers firelighting with a firesteel, debris shelters and a bit of fish prep and cooking from what I remember of it.

A good quality DVD might be a good idea.

Bam. :D

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
Hi :)
I think that instructional dvd's have a huge amount of potential for teaching/learning but there is always room for a well thought out book. I think a book with companion dvd would be an ideal balance so that you can watch the techniques in action with all the advantages of pause and replay but still have a book to clarify points and to refer back to in the field as you put those techniques into action for yourself.

I thought of that and its a great idea to have a field manual that corresponds to the DVD. But the cost in doing both is $$$$$$. The DVD is less expensive and more informative, but the drawback is that you cant necessarily have it in the bush, well you could but it just wouldn't be the same as a book. Anyhow, I had thought about doing a DVD offering it first and then a field guide that highlight some of the techniques, because a full text wouldn't be necessary if the DVD has done its job, there would only be a need for technical illustration I think.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
One drawback I've thought of to DVDs is actually producing something commercially viable. The problem DVDs suffer from, as opposed to books, is that they are easy to pirate and spread around for free. How often do you come across a pirated book?

So quite hard to sell enough of a product which is a niche subject to begin with.

Neil Mac'

Jan 14, 2006
Midlands
Hi folks,

I think a good book can be be very valuable. Back in the mid 1980's I bought "The SAS Survival handbook" by John Wiseman. I read it to death. A key element of that book was the profusion of good quality line drawings that illustrated the topic much better than a photograph could do. Recently I read a book by Ray Mears but apart from a good section on tools and equipment it struck me as being fairly poor. Perhaps Mr. Mears is more suited to the video age.

I don't know how it could be achieved but it strikes me that the best solution would be to write a book and provide a code to each purchaser that gave them access to illustrative video clips on the internet.

I buy Shooting Times every week and for the last few weeks they have been running a series on "how to prepare game" illustrated with photographs. It's really very poor and would be of very little help to a novice. It serves to demonstrate that it is easy to show someone how to perform a physical/technical task but very difficult to write instructions.

Best wishes,

Neil Mac'

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
So quite hard to sell enough of a product which is a niche subject to begin with.
I know of atleast 1 bushcraft school that is looking at giving away a CDrom of info to their students covering the skills they learnt on the course, so there is no need for them to sell it..... it comes with the course so to speak.

It does seem a popular idea, I have even been contacted myself this week about doing a DVD or some sort of educational downloadable film..... so there are some in the works.

I also seem to remember that survival school (jonny crockett) did some online films a while back.... I'm sure it was talked about here.... some sort of internet TV project.

:D
Ed

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
A couple of bits that were mentioned earlier

A book that has been kept for twenty-odd years and is still readable
A video that has to be dug out from it's hiding place

And I read somewhere that there are different formats of DVD arriving

Soooooo, my point is - It doesn't matter what new technology comes in you can still read a book

And it's more compact than any portable DVD player, it never runs out of batteries, it will never be obsolete, I enjoy reading

Just a thought

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Brian Curnel said:
The goal here is to offer free classes for Basics or foundational skills then sell the DVD. Or as a gift if students go into the advanced portion of the classes which of course is a paid class.

In that case I think it would be very beneficial. I would love to have had the chance at the end of courses to get hold of a DVD to refer to when trying to develop the techniques I have just been taught. Books would complement also, but the visual element might make things much clearer to a student.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
yes lots of books about for sure but if you do your research you will find that many are re hashes of past books or just a slight different angle - wont mention which as well infringement and all that
look for a book and see if you can re write it better more simplified more accessable
and/or even better come up with a new angle
mmmm like bushcraft for the backyard - aim it at say people confined at home - little oppotunity to get to woods or no woods available andor home projects to develop and then move out to the woods
just one idea
if you write in the spitit of a good read sharing of knowledge and hopefully the odd brightened afternoon and dont worry that you will be out of pocket to publish the thing then your be fine - i mean whats the worse that could happen - totally bankrupt and critised by the outdoor comunity
lol

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
how about a book and dvd, as one item. The book printed and laminated so that it doubles as a field guide with all the neccesary line drawings and easy tips, the size of a dvd case, and the dvd giving the visuals and giving you the 'meat' of the subject.

best of both worlds IMO

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Neil Mac' said:
Hi folks,

I think a good book can be be very valuable. Back in the mid 1980's I bought "The SAS Survival handbook" by John Wiseman. I read it to death. A key element of that book was the profusion of good quality line drawings that illustrated the topic much better than a photograph could do. Recently I read a book by Ray Mears but apart from a good section on tools and equipment it struck me as being fairly poor. Perhaps Mr. Mears is more suited to the video age.

Thats kind of what I think also.
I bought The SAS survival handbook and read it to death also.
Personally I prefer books aseven the fact that I am reading one changes the way I take information in.

If I am reading I tend to quieten down and take time out so I can absorb the information, on the otherhand I find that using the computer/watching DVDs tends to shorten my attention span and I flit about more.
A book could last a thousand years and is accessable when the powers off but I can't say the same for DVDs.

One thing about books though...
Bushcraft/Survival/Outdoors books (especially ones that cover plant identification) should ALWAYS be small enough to be carried about when your out and about, I have owned The SAS Survival Handbook for years and it's a fair size humdinger to be out and about with, later on I bought one of my nephiews the Collins Gem version of it and after looking through them both I can't find anything that the big version has that the little one hasn't.

Collins Gem size books are great :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE