Whittling knife?

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
AThere is a pattern Case do called the seahorse whittler. have a look around for them.
also there is a guy over on BB called bushmans edge that make a wonderful folding whittler.
edit well thats strange.....

Last edited:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have a crooked knife but I'm looking for something like a folder to carry with me. Can't imagine a crooked knife in my pocket somehow.:)

Depends what you mean by whittling. The best woodcarving knives are not folders, my fave is Frosts 106 sloyd, a superb knife for £10. If you are going for a folder a Swiss army is hard to beat I like the bigger locking ones but they are not legal every day carry. I like ones with big blade, little blade, saw and as little else as possible.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Hmm, well the folders I use for whittling are pocket knives (a little shorter than 4" closed). I've been using swiss army knives for a long time but sort of recently I got a Case medium stockman which I find a lot better for whittling. If you're looking for that kind of folder than something like a stockman pattern would be a good choice because it has three blades to choose from, normally a clip, sheepsfoot and spey but I got one with a pen blade instead of the spey because I think it's more useful for whittling. Only problem I see with that pattern is the sheepsfoot blade sticks up quite a bit in the handle when closed so it can be uncomfortable. There is another pattern called a Texas Jack which has the same shape as a stockman but only has the clip and pen blades so it's probably a little more comfortable to hold.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a larger folder then maybe something like an EKA folder would be good as it has a scandi grind, I've never used one of those myself though. I also find a larger knife a little harder to use.

Like Robin said though, a fixed blade carving knife is probably the best, I think it's because it's stronger, won't accidently close on your fingers and has a larger more comfortable handle. I just got a Mora 120 for christmas and boy is it sharp, it carves effortlessly. But I'm still going to use my pocket knives because they fold up nice and small so I can bring them with me more easily and whittle while out and about. You could still do that with a fixed bladed knife but it's a bit bulkier, plus it's a fixed blade and illegal to carry in some places.

Oh and by the way, I'm not that great of a whittler so keep that in mind, but I think I'm alright.

Case medium stockman I have this one.
Texas Jack
EKA folders
Moras The carving knives are near the bottom.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Many thanks for the information. Just what I was looking for. I have a few non folders that I already use but I am looking for something I can legally have in my pocket all the time, just in case I have a few minutes spare and bump into a piece of wood! I take what you say about folders closing on you, it can be nasty.:thanks:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Two more for your consideration are the SAK Pocket Pal (used by swmbo, kept good by me) and the Buck Trio (mine).

Both are EDC legal and both are easy to sharpen and re-touch, however both (IMO) also require a bit of blade re-shaping to make them more efficient whittlers. Unless you buy a knife specifically designed for whittling I suspect that you're likely to need to do to any knife you buy.

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE