Whistle that doesn't need much puff...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teal

Apr 23, 2016
Berkshire
I'm after a whistle that makes an acceptable amount of noise with minimal puff for the kids. My Fox40 micro and acme thunderer are great if you can blow really hard, but if you don't have much puff they make no noise at all. I vaguely recall the referee type whistles with peas in might be better?

Just as background (and paralleling the kids thread In here) my eldest is nearly 3 and likes running off by herself. At Forest school they play a game where the adults shout "1 2 3 where are you?" And the children always have to shout "here I am" in response, even if everyone is playing hide and seek or whatever. We're trying to adapt it to include the whistle on her part.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I have something like this for the dogs, marketed under different names, this one is Vargo. Very small, very loud, and doesn't need much puff. You may want to put a break-away in the cord just in case she snags it on something.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.c...ergency-rescue-c6/vargo-titanium-whistle-p942

I also use this type of whistle; although not ear-splitting, the sound carries a very long way for not much puff, easily heard a long way off. It's really easy to teach very young kids a specific 'signal blow' for emergency situations, we have a family signal and it's surprising how far away you can hear it once your brain is attuned to it. Well worth doing, it's got various of us out of trouble quite a few times.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Just as background (and paralleling the kids thread In here) my eldest is nearly 3 and likes running off by herself. At Forest school they play a game where the adults shout "1 2 3 where are you?" And the children always have to shout "here I am" in response, even if everyone is playing hide and seek or whatever. We're trying to adapt it to include the whistle on her part.

The point of 123 where are you is that they always remain within voice contact. They hide in a count of 10 (usually) but importantly, they have to remain within earshot of the count. When it's done well and the kids understand/work out the reasons why it's important a whistle would become unnecessary, and possibly a hindrance.
You might be better having a tune, or pattern that you blow an the whistle and they finish. Makes more sense to call and reply the same way and they won't have to remember two sets of rules for the same game.
Or just play 123 where are you to establish a boundary, which is what the game is for.

Thinking on, I like the idea of whistles and a tune for my own girls (now 5 and 7). It'd save a fair bit of shouting "you ok girls?" about the place.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edit-much as Macaroon said with the whistles. Don't know how I missed that on the way through and it does frustrate me when someone has clearly just read the opening post but not the thread! Sorry 😀

Last edited:

Teal

Apr 23, 2016
Berkshire
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look into those.

Tracker: I'm looking to build on the Pavlovian response the game teaches into a useful emergency technique...eg when you hear a specific thing (initially me shoutingt 1 2 3 where are you in my best drill voice) you blow your whistle. I'm not overly interested in the game itself, although it sounds like the version I have seen is delivered differently.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I've always used those cheap aluminium whistles you get in most shops in a small bowl, either that or a few orange plastic ones i took off some life vests that had failed their check, all of them work well without much effort;

Wholesale-1000-pcs-lot-Outdoor-font-b-Safety-b-font-Survival-Emergency-font-b-Whistle-b.jpg

Just avoid anything with a pea in it,

Tonyuk

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

+1 TonyUK,

I've been using the Life Venture versions for years - effective and no pea to loose (or in the case of the 'biscuit stealers' - to chew the end off and swallow! :lmao:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE