Which wax for reproofing cotton ??

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have a cotton anorak i want to wax ,which wax is the best and best price ,Barbour,Filson or maybe home made stuff?

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Ive used the Barbour wax with very good results, I keep a cloth specifically for application and use a paint stripper bot air gun to melt the wax into the fabric (Carefully as it get very hot, a hair drier would probably be better!) Ive done Coats, Gas mask bags, baseball hats, all turned out very successfully, some needing a couple of applications, all very waterproof.

I have also redone my Filson Levi jacket with the Filson product, works just as well, but I guess the Barbour is more freely available.....

I doubt you will be disappointed....

Paul

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I found one of the tutorials where one of the members reproofed a snow smock ,which looks great http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103410&highlight=swedish+waxed+snow+smock but i dont want something that the wax will continue to come off on your hands clothes !

I have used a mix of 50% bees wax and 50% paraffin wax and it works great! rubbed it into the fabric as a block and melted it in with a heat gun.
does that mixture make the garment quite stiff buddy?

I found one of the tutorials where one of the members reproofed a snow smock ,which looks great http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103410&highlight=swedish+waxed+snow+smock but i dont want something that the wax will continue to come off on your hands clothes !

I have used a mix of 50% bees wax and 50% paraffin wax and it works great! rubbed it into the fabric as a block and melted it in with a heat gun.
does that mixture make the garment quite stiff buddy?

It does make it a little bit stiffer, but I don't really think can be avoided when waxing cotton. Certainly not stiff enough to be unusable, and it will become more flexible as time goes on

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
After years of using and proofing waxed cotton the product I turn to is Nikwax Spray on Wax LINK. Gives an even finish that doesn't look like a lumpy butter dish. Just be sure to do in somewhere warm and I always stand the bottle in hot water for a while before starting to make the wax thinner/easier to apply.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE