Which sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
By the way, you don't work for Snugpak or MH, by any chance? - Just checking

I certainly dont work for any outdoor company, and in fact its a Snugpak I'm wanting to change! As I said, if you love Wiggy's, thats great, but their not for everyone, and buying a bag isn't cheap, so its reasonable for people to get as much information as possible. Reviews help.

As for the original OP's request, Martin K9's idea is a good one - try one for size!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Replace your snugpak, OB? Loft not doing it anymore? Doesn't matter how old it is, surely you can just send it back to Snugpak and get a new replacement?

Ah - no. They don't guarantee their bags like Wiggy does. Expensive replacing bags, isn't it:)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
True. 20 years life out of a sleeping bag you've washed 4-5 times is very good, even if it wasn't warm and the loft was going. (so more of a shivering than sleeping bag then:) )

However, as you don't like personal recommendations from people on here who have actually used the kit for years in all sorts of conditions, and much prefer recommendations from magazine articles based on one night out in a manufacturer (and heavy advertiser)-provided brand new sleeping bag, I'll forgo any further suggestions:)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Wiggans: How compactable are they? Are they of the "you need a separate pack to fit the sleeping bag" variety, the "fits in my pocket" type or somewhere in between? I consider my Carinthia Survival One and RMs Osprey to be in the first group...

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Oh the Wiggys bags are huge. Well, the -30˚ ultima thule rectangular with a hood, one is anyway. Probably 40 litres compressed.

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
True. 20 years life out of a sleeping bag you've washed 4-5 times is very good, even if it wasn't warm and the loft was going. (so more of a shivering than sleeping bag then:)

Its still perfectly useable, and the loft is still pretty good, all being considered, but being Snugpak, its temp rating was always a bit optimistic. And I'm getting older and my backs not getting any better - so why pack a sleeping bag thats larger and heavier than I need to? Less weight, more comfort. And prices for not only down bags, but also decent synthetic bags have reduced a lot in real terms - there is still a leap for down, but its not quite double the cost of synthetic any more. The Alpkit Skyehighs look good, and the AlpineDream 700 they have on preorder sounds great - minus 12c at less than 1300g. Hope Father Christmas is generous this year:)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Wiggans: How compactable are they? Are they of the "you need a separate pack to fit the sleeping bag" variety, the "fits in my pocket" type or somewhere in between? I consider my Carinthia Survival One and RMs Osprey to be in the first group...

Good question! Depends on the type chosen. The Overbag compresses down to about a basketball size, and is good down about 2C. Weighs about 3lb. I use this for UK three-season, although gets a bit chilly if temp drops below zero. THe Ultralight - about 4lbs. is good down to -5C (dunno about this - don't have one.)

The Superlight - the one I used in Norway in January with some of the lads on here - is rated to about -17C and weighs about 4.5lbs. Despite me sleeping on a cot - not recommended as cold air gets underneath you - it kept me warm wearing a baselayer in an unheated tent (temps dropped to about -20C per the lads who had thermometers), and probably takes up about 25litres or so of space in my Bergen. (you can match it up with the overbag - fully zips together - to lower the temp rating -40F (which is also -40C)

The Ultima Thule is a big beasty - lots of youtube videos to give an idea of size. Mine is the Long and wide version. It is a bit smaller and lighter than the current US Marines 2 bag and bivvi gear setup, if that's any help! Good to -29C.

They also do an Antarctic bag (good for -60F (-51C) which is huge, and probably unnecessary unless you are genuinely in the Antarctic! Although add the overbag and it is good for -80F (-62C) for those who sleep cold:)......................

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The Superlight - the one I used in Norway in January with some of the lads on here - is rated to about -17C and weighs about 4.5lbs. Despite me sleeping on a cot - not recommended as cold air gets underneath you - it kept me warm wearing a baselayer in an unheated tent (temps dropped to about -20C per the lads who had thermometers), and probably takes up about 25litres or so of space in my Bergen. (you can match it up with the overbag - fully zips together - to lower the temp rating -40F (which is also -40C)

So on the bulky side then. And since I live where I do and do what I do -30 C is the minimum I'll accept for a winter bag.

The Ultima Thule is a big beasty - lots of youtube videos to give an idea of size. Mine is the Long and wide version. It is a bit smaller and lighter than the current US Marines 2 bag and bivvi gear setup, if that's any help! Good to -29C.

They also do an Antarctic bag (good for -60F (-51C) which is huge, and probably unnecessary unless you are genuinely in the Antarctic! Although add the overbag and it is good for -80F (-62C) for those who sleep cold:)......................

The overbag on that is overkill for me, but I have slept out in about -50 C, and it was on the chilly side in a Carinthia Survival One. Possible on a pulk ot toboggan, but not inside a modern internal frame pack.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
As to weight, the Ultima Thule weighs 5 lb depending on size - (2.2kg) and has a realistic temp rating of -29C. Not as light as a down bag rated to -30C, but at least you can rely on Wiggy's temp ratings. In over 50 years of camping with top of the range sleeping bags, both down and synthetic, they rarely came within 10degrees of their "official" rating.

Really? *REALLY*? So if you and I took that same bag, to -29°C, you're saying that it will be warm enough for both of us? That goes against everything we know about the way men and women feel the cold.

There is a reason that the T-Comfort on a women's bag is different to the T-Comfort of a mens bag.

J

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm sorry Q - what are you trying to infer from my comments. I said that I - as in me - "In over 50 years of camping with top of the range sleeping bags, both down and synthetic, they rarely came within 10degrees of their "official" rating" Yet the Wiggys - for me - meet or exceed their temp specs. And bear in mind that as I've gotten older, my resistance to the cold drops, so the earlier bags I used get an unforeseen "bonus" in the warmth stakes!

So it is a personal comparison on the accuracy of temp ratings. It is quite possible that what I find comfortable at -30C you would only find comfortable at -25C, true. (you being a weak and feeble woman and all:) ) Joke, folks, joke! However that doesn't invalidate my comments about the untrustworthiness of the temp ratings on other bags. It's a relative comparison.

It is also true that there are some weird definitions of what "Comfortable" means re the ratings. If you are made of metal, have an constant internal heat source, do not sweat or move whilst sleeping, have no internal vascular system that draws heat to the core and head as temps fall, then you can put some reliance on the EU EN ratings. And often you'll find winter bags (especially those designed for climbers) whose "rating" depends on you wearing full protective, insulated clothing as well as the bag.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Forestwalker, interesting comments there - thanks.

However, re the Carinthia Survival 1, their website puts its weight at 6.4lbs (2.9kg) and it's comfort rating at -20C - Extreme survival rating -39C. (So congratulations on surviving the night in this bag at -50C! Were you fully clothed, or just in baselayers at the time?) So, comfort rating - which I personally define as sleeping comfortably through the night in baselayers - is only about the same as the Wiggys Superlight bag, which only weighs 4lb, and much less than the Ultima Thule - comfort rating -29C,which weighs a few ounces more at 6.5lbs.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
One thing I do like about the Carinthia is the arms. I had a similar system in my Buffalo/Survival Aids bags. Great to be snug and warm in your sleeping bag whilst preparing the first morning cuppa!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE