which pack?

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
hear the crack, i curently use a 21L 5.11 rush pack as my edc it has all my bits and bobs in except sleeping equipment and food etc, im wanting to get a large pack big enough for winter camping when i may take my canvas armytent 4 season sleeping bag which is close to 30L. but id like to be able to place my 20L pack in the top of the pack or even atach to the front with molle straps, im thinking either a sabre 60-100 lowe alpine salient, berghaus vulcan or berghaus crusader or any other ideas welcome
what would you saggest
thanks ash

Aug 1, 2011
anywhere
Hey Ash, I've no experience with the others so i'm afraid so can't help you much with the other sacks. But I have recently bought the LA Salient and so far have not regretted it, you may have seen my thread where i was torn between it and the sabre 75.

(Granted i've only had it a few days) but have filled it up a lot to try it out and will be going out properly with it this weekend. it feels very well made. only problem ive thought of so far is water resistance so will probably be buying a raincover for it soon.

I think i'm right in saying that it is the smallest capacity of the bags you listed, and it is quite a tall bag when filled up, especially when the compression straps are tightened. this probably makes it more important to get the fit and weight distribution right as opposed to fatter bags because of the possibility of it tipping one way and the other, but the adjustable back system helps with that, and once i'd I pulled the straps tighter to my shoulders it seems to carry well.

Plenty of molle straps so no problem with attaching extras on the outside, but I suppose it comes down to how much kit you want to carry in the body of the bag as to whether 70l is enough. BUt, with floating lid, 2x 10l side pockets, and possibly a 20l pack on the front that will all add up. AND FINALLY, one thing that always put me off about adding side pockets was how wide and awkward the pack becomes, but that would be much less of a problem with the salient because of the skinny pack and smaller pouches.

sorry i wrote so much, hope at least some of that helped!

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Hi Ash,

I own a Vulcan and I've tried the Salient which Oakhill Wanderer currently has. In terms of comfort they're pretty much the same in the sense that when they're rigged right, most of the weight is carried by your hips via the belt. The main difference is that the Vulcan is MASSIVE in comparison, which isn't necessarily a good thing. The Vulcan is favoured simply because of the comfort when carrying a full-load, but with time your pack will probably become smaller, especially if you end up with down sleeping bags etc.

If i was purchasing again, I'd go for the Salient. That way, I'd have kept my kit to a minimum and not taken the kitchen sink when starting out!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
cheers lads im thinkining the salient as i quite like the slimmer packs plus the molle will come in handy, usualy when im out on my own i can just get my kit in my rush 12 if im traveling light but its when i go whith mates for a few days they insist on taking everything.
that made me chuckle blacktimberwolf;) thanks for the reviews mate oh and from my previous thread the rush pack is a cracking little pack,just wanting to get a couple of pouches for it.
thanks ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE