Which of these two axes!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swanseajack

Jun 13, 2009
Mumbles
I'm not an axe expert,but. I bought a Gransfors Wildlife hatchet. It is really well made. It arrived quite sharp,but, after having a go at sharpening and restoring two old axes I'm quite confident of referbishing an axe head. I can even re-helve an axe to a very reasonable standard. If I were to buy an axe now, I might well try one of the cheaper Swedish axes and have a go at honing/tuning it up myself rather than splashing out the full wonga on a GF.
But, having said this, the GF is a very nicely made product, and worth the dosh.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Thanks gents!
Just to clarify,I have two GB axes,but just wondered if it was worth trying the
Hultafors over the GB when it came to the small forest axe!?
C da C.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have both the GFB SFA and the HultaforsHunter/forest axe.
The SFA is lighter and slimmer in the shaft and I find I can use it for roughing out carvings as well as limbing splitting and other heavy chores.
I find the Hult too clumsty for carving projects but a bit better for heavy tasks....love em both though!
Both excellent quality and value for money.
It all comes down to what you want from your axe!

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
There in lies the problem John,I want them to do the job of a small forest axe!!
Maybe I should stick with GB as I don't need the 'Hunter' part of the Hultafors,
ie,the rounded pol.
Or maybe I should give one a try as a change as it does'nt sound like there is much between them!
Cheers.
Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE