Which mould/mildew inhibitor for leather?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Could folk tell what they reckon are the best mould and mildew inhibitors to use on leatherwork that mainly spends its time in storage?

i've a few items that although I rarely use them I have a sentimental or other attachment to that means I'm not going to be getting rid of them. Unfortunately a few of them are prone to mildew or mould, certain pairs and boots that have a light green coating on them after a few months in storage out of sunlight. I'm not storing them in the damp or where there's excessive warmth to encourage growth. I suppose I could vacuum seal them after cleaning but I'm sure there must be some propriety leather goo that will prevent them going OG on me? I can clean it off easy enough but I'd rather prevent.

Cheers!

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you can get to an equine supply store, or else online, Hibiscrub is a Chlorhexadine skin cleanser used on animals as a pre-op and general anti-microbial fungicide that will prevent any nasties on your stored leather. Less than a tenner will get you enough to last a lifetime. It's also very useful for those who induce spalting in timber, as an application of this stuff will stop any fungal growth just at the stage you want it and prevent the wood from going too far and becoming punky. The liquid is pretty safe to use as it's the same chemical used in Chorsodyl mouthwash; it's just a slightly higher concentration and much cheaper.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent, it just happens there's half a bottle of hibiscrub in the bathroom left over from when I had foot surgery a few years back. Well that's sorted then! I think we also have some of those giant bags of silica gel for drying boots out. I'll find them and re activate them and bung them in with the long term storage stuff. It's not as if I use them otherwise.

cheers!

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE