Which drybag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leodis

Jun 2, 2014
Leeds
I'm looking into getting a dry bag but in unsure which to go for. There's so much choice out there. Can anybody recommend a decent quality one?

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
What will it contain ? Is it a day bag that needs opened whilst in the canoe ? Or is it for lining a rucksac ?

Lomo do very cheap bags from a6 size up to 100ltrs. Vango also do quality but expensive ones.

Outlaw13

Nov 20, 2013
Nottingham
Definitely take a look at the Lomo site. I've used one for 3 years now. Used every week carting scuba kit or rugby kit and its still going strong.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
There is a thread on OM http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/what-dry-bags/65259.html and the whole subject comes up again and again on this and other sites.

Basically, all you want is a variety of sized bags, which are reasonably tough and waterproof, and which dont cost the earth. There tends to be two types (at least for hiking) - basically, most drysacs are taffeta/sil nylon, or the slightly thicker ones with a rubber like inner coating (I've got some like that from Blacks and via TKMaxx from Trekmates). Exped is the major name for the sil nylon ones, but there are loads of others - Sea to Summit, Alpkit Airloks, Podsac, etc. I hear decent things about karrimor ones, and they are a decent price. In fact drybags are a good way to twig if a shop is overcharging - its a basic design, using the the same materials - if you are paying way more than the average, then they gouging on the little things. And since pretty much general hiking store carries Exped, its pretty much the Mars bar of the hiking world - its just standard.

I tend to buy mine when they are on deal, or are just well priced. Ones I like are Alpkit's Airloks, which are very well priced, and their Xtras https://www.alpkit.com/featured/dry-bags are fantastic value - really tough (closer to the rubber lined ones) with attachment points. I've got some Sea to Summit from TKMaxx, which I havn't tried out, plus some other brands, like super cheap ones from Wilkinsons. Podsac are having a big clearance of their stuff (they've been bought by another company) http://www.podsacs.com/c/q/bags-covers-liners - so grab them while you can. I bought mine from Blacks (they had a stupid online deal), but the Podsac website still has some good deals, especially for the packliners. They charge £3.95 delivery on order under £50, but if your looking for drybags and a new pack (at a very good price), fill your boots.

I hear good things about Lomo, but I've got probably more drybags than I really need (although the Podsac packliner would be useful...), so I've not tried them out.

Ones to avoid - really cheapie ones from Chinese online stores, and stuff from Eurohike - rubbish. Also surplus stuff (its generally knackered) - I bought a cheap US packliner from my local surplus place, and it was full of holes - a waste of time.

Ortlieb are really heavy - bombproof and great if you kayak, but I would want to carry one - they do lighter bags as well, but they are not cheap.

For a decent product at good prices, I'd try Podsac while you can, and Alpkit for a good general deal. The other brands are fine as well, but generally cost a little more.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a Oertlieb bag, its very high quality and will no doubt last a lifetime. But... I would say that its more designed for caving where it is the primary protection against abrasion and has to be waterproof than something to take hiking in a rucksack where it only has to be waterproof.
Its about twice (or more times) thicker and heavier than other ones.

Note to self, must get a lighter drybag.

Leodis

Jun 2, 2014
Leeds
Thanks everybody. There has been some great replies. I've decided to go with some small lomo ones for now and when I have the need, I have one of the larger alpkit bags in mind.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just to add, the Alpkit bags work really well, I use a 30L one as my primary rear bag on my Brompton when touring. I also use them for things like my sleeping bag and the like, I have nearly the complete range now. Very pleased with them.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE