Which Daypack!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi All,

Not very bushcrafty this, but I'm interested in gathering your thoughts on daypacks!

I'm looking for a new daypack which will be used every day for work and play. For work it'll be used to carry my lunch, drink, spare clothes, book etc (I'm a pen pusher in the city!). At weekends it'll be used for trips to the woods and nature reserves so it'll be carrying everything from; clothes, pack-lunches, flasks, camera, binoculars, tarp, stove, tools etc. So I'm not necessarily going to be abusing it, but it will quite literally be used every day.

Over the years I've spent a small fortune on various low-mid priced rucksacks and messenger bags which have lasted a short while before failing on me. I'm now looking for something of a better quality which might stand the test of time and am therefore prepared to handover a bit more of my hard earned cash!

I've been looking at a few options, you'll notice that they're on or around the 20-30litre capacity, made of hard wearing fabrics and coming from some of the more reputed brands:

Fjallraven No.21 Medium
Fjallravan Raven 28litre
Home of Millican Smith the Roll Pack (25litre)
Karrimor SF Sabre 30 (bit more tactical than the others but I like the ruggedness of it!)

I'm not really interested in any of the overly tactical bags that are covered in molle, not really my cup of tea if I'm honest!

I'd welcome your thoughts; Has anyone ever had any experience with these? Have they proven to be as hard wearing as the marketing has you believe? Am I being dazzled by the big name brands?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I note your comment regarding your dislike of overly tactical looking rucksacks, and perhaps then my suggestion will be of no use, but the 5.11 Rush 24 would seem to meet all of your other needs. I use mine as an everyday commuting bag - and its great for it - loads of pockets and internal dividers for laptops, phones, pens, notebooks etc, very rugged, and probably around the size you want. I went for one in the 'storm' colour - a kind of grey/charcoal, with black fittings - deliberately as its the least tactical looking version (at least to my eyes). I've tried (and own) many other daysacks, including the karrimor sabre 30 you mention, and the 5.11 really beats them all hands down. The zip based design is also so much easier to load and unload stuff, especially at work, than the traditional top loading type packs.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thank you my Lord (sorry, couldn't resist!). I have considered the 5.11 packs and in particular the Rush 12, not least because I've yet to see a bad review and it's a bit cheaper than most of the options I've listed. Of all the tactical packs it's the one that appeals the most, I'm just not sure I'd make use of all the molle.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Maybe have a word with Peto on here. He can probably make you a custom bag to suit your needs.

I use a Barbour Tarras shoulder bag and the quality is excellent. Probably a bit small for your requirements though.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've had and used a few of those you mention. Didn't like the Sabre at all and now use it's cousin, the 35L Predator; I find it more ergonomic, somehow, but that's no help to you as it has molle. The Fjallraven I found smaller than advertised, and it seemed very square and clunky, a glorified shopping bag although a very spendy one.

I bought a Millican 25L as new on this forum just before Christmas and have used it every day since and I can't fault it so far; very comfortable with 8-9 kilos up, just enough little storage pockets to make sense and not trying to be a really busy 'office outside the office' type of pack, and with the roll top arrangement I reckon I'll easily get 2 or maybe three nights out in the three clement seasons. Fabric is mostly recycled canvas and feels great, I've been walking in a lot of rain and nothing's got wet, and it's made here in the UK which figures ever higher on my list of requirements for gear, these days.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks Macaroon. I agree with your sentiments about the fjallraven bags; that and the cost have pretty much put me off. I think I'm going to get the millican bag. Seems rugged, just the right size, nicely designed and great to have something made in the UK. I'm also buoyed by the fact that I can get 15% off at Cotswolds.

If it's good enough for Leveson Wood to traipse around the world with it then I'm sure it's good enough to carry my cheese and pickle sandwiches into work!

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I’m with Macaroon on the Sabre 30 - it’s my EDC bag and although I have no plans to change it anytime soon I think there are probably better options for your money, particularly if you want to steer away from warry colours and style. I’m about a 42” chest and the shoulder straps are fully extended so anyone bigger may struggle.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Camelbak peak bagger

I adore this pack. Bought it 2002/3 its been around the world twice, my go to for day trips or weekenders, my main bag for motorbike use/EDC
It is a proper hiking pack you can do serious miles with and also unobtrusive when nearly empty as an edc pack

Durable in the extreme, sits nice and low on your back, doesnt catch on branches, will carry 10kg without issue......i'd buy another the same day if i ever manage to wear this one out!

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Camelbak peak bagger

I adore this pack. Bought it 2002/3 its been around the world twice......

I hate it when that happens - I haven’t flown on Ryanair since they did that to my bags! ;)

Great bag BTW but when I was looking a while ago, it was not in the current CB range - I’m not sure what the nearest current equivalent.

Reactions: Macaroon

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Camelbak peak bagger

I adore this pack. Bought it 2002/3 its been around the world twice

I only got it back last week! :biggrin:

I checked a while back and they were still selling it.......so that might have been a longer while than i think lol
I'll have to check out if theres a similar option

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Maxpedition Falcon 2, been wearing mine everyday for 4 years love it.
view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E79H-WitCFnWZvGdBpCTonyPNFwQ5L9A/view?usp=sharing

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks all for the advice. By way of an update i popped into Cotswolds after work today and bought the Millican "Smith the Roll Pack" 25l. I'm looking forward to putting it to good use.

MikeLA: I have a gen issue DPM NI Patrol Pack. Amazing pack and one that I use for overnighters up the woods. Add a set of utility straps to the base and it really will swallow up a lot of kit. To be honest, I'm surprised that I don't see more people using them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE