Which 3-4 season synthetic sleeping bag for a Sabre 45

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I got confused. For some reason I had in mind that the Snowline was the one I wanted and I was even considering bidding on one on eBay at the moment! However, it's already at £125 and a re-read of the specs tells me it will be too warm for my requirements. The Frostline most closely matches the Alpkit bags I've looked at, but is more expensive and weighs more...

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Just my two pennys worth

Mountain Hardwear Lamina 32.

I use mine last month at the midlands meet and slept in my base layers, i also use it in the summer as well.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Barring finding a great deal on a Mountain Equipment bag, I'm going to go for the Alpkit Pipedream 600. I'm on the waiting list, but still might not get one from the March shipment...

Edit: Looks like May now :(

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
so its best to store your bag out of the compression sack?
what about all the time its spent say in the store etc?
is it ok to hang the bag? i.e. in a cupboard? i've got a nice long internal cupboard i could hang mine in.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
is it ok to hang the bag? i.e. in a cupboard? i've got a nice long internal cupboard i could hang mine in.
From what I've read, the brands that do it properly will store and ship the bags uncompressed. Hanging the bag in a cupboard seems to be quite popular, though I'll probably put mine under a bed with my Thermarest.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland

Definitely best to store it out of the compression sack. Otherwise you loose loft much faster.
Hanging the bag in a cupboard is a good idea. Works perfectly.
Otherwise you can store it in a big netting bag or a big pillow-case (the bigger the better).
Oh, and always stuff your sleeping bag into the compression sack and/or storing bag. Never roll... :nono:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
ah, right then
time to unroll by sleeping bag out of its compression sack (to be fair it arrived like that) and pop it in the cupboard.
i'll be stuffing it in the stuff sack from now on tho.
cheers chaps ;)
pete

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Latest update...

I've just finished reading Beyond Backpacking: Ray Jardine's Guide to Lightweight Hiking and have given serious consideration to making a quilt to his design instead of using a sleeping bag. However, my current thoughts are that the Alpkit Pipedream bags are so light, I'm not convinced that I'd make significant weight savings over even a Jardine quilt (though my mind is not closed to the possibility).

It's funny, but I find that until I actually get around to writing down my specific requirements, my purchasing decision changes on a regular basis. Luckily, the Alpkit waiting list is actually allowing me to sort out what I really want:
  • I'd like a bag that I can use as much as possible in the UK in multiple seasons.
  • I really don't want to have to use a "Winter" bag as a duvet whenever it gets above freezing (though I'd be perfectly prepared to do so in the Summer, if necessary).
  • I want to go as light as possible.
  • I don't sleep hot, but probably not too cold either.
  • I'm unlikely to travel regularly (if at all) to Scotland when it's really cold, but I want to be able to sleep out in my local woods (Beds/Bucks) in the middle of Winter (-5º to -10º?).
I've emailed Alpkit to see if I can get away with a Pipedream 400, rather than the 600. The 400 is obviously much more of an "all-year-round" bag for the UK and it's weight (750g) is fantastic. Perhaps the current cold snap is weighing on my mind (it has reached -10º where I live this week) and I'd be fine with a 400 plus extra clothes if necessary?

However, another thought I've had is to use a Pipedream 400 with a shaped "duvet" cover (a thinner and lighter version of the Ray Jardine quilt to extend its temperature range when needed. Something like a lightweight version of the US Army sleeping system.

Incidentally, I highly recommend Ray Jardine's book (he has a newer book, Trail Life: Ray Jardine's Lightweight Backpacking, which supercedes the one linked to above). Although he is pretty hardcore when it comes to lightweight hiking, his ideas are very thought provoking and that's a good thing, even if I don't think they are all directly transferrable to non-hiking activities such as bushcraft.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi

I know you have already done a lot of research into this and have pretty much made up your mind, but have you thought of a Snugpak bag.

I recently bought a Snugpak Softie Elite. Rated to -5 with an extreme of -10. I recently slept out with it in -2 degrees and was quite comfortable. It packs up quite small, is quite light and fitted in the bottom of my old 45 litre pack though I have not tried in in my Sabre 45 yet. Also, the bag is not madly expensive.

Just a thought

Regards

Phill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE