Where to go...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Jack said:
The quickest way to find out who owns the land, is to start up a chainsaw................you will find out within 3 minutes, guaranteed. It has always worked for me! :naughty:

How positive are your negotiations post chainsaw revving?
:rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

Mauro

Aug 4, 2004
Cambridgeshire, UK
just do it!!

-) if you are found in the evening, you are simply asked to move on
-) if you are found in the morning, you are moving on anyway. not much to say!
-) if you find somebody a bit pedantic, what can happen? you may be fined! how much? 50 quid! I have been in worst hotels for those money!

However, leave the place clean etc etc

enjoy :wave:

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Has anybody tried the MOD estates? :?:

I know that on most MOD training areas camping/fires aren't allowed (although on some there are designated bivi areas for the soldiers) but I've had a quick scan of the website and from the look of it there seems to be the possibility that when the areas aren't being used for miliary purposes "many other activities can take place" they might make exceptions i.e. maybe a small group/individuals go to a set grid reference on a set date???

I've done army survival courses on MOD land in Dorset with open fires etc and during training on the Sandhurst area the Gurkhas regularly spark up fires at night! ....... rules can be bent or "adjusted" ...... the question is will they do it for civilians?!?

Info at the bottom of this page:- http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/access/access.htm

Here is a list of training areas and ranges with the wardens telephone number:- http://www.defence-estates.mod.uk/access/contacts.htm

I'm sure that if you contact the wardens, especially the ones at the smaller training areas that don't get used as often, they maybe able to help (although from past experience you may get the occasional grumpy old man!). Worth a go anyway ........ if you don't ask you don't get!

Good luck. :biggthump

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
About the only place i can think of you being able to have a fire, is in snowdonia (possible? in the remote parts) and up in the highlands

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Hi all, I'm new to the site (this is my first post) and to bushcraft (in that I haven't done any yet). I know it's a hell of a long shot, but have any of you done any, heard of any, or read of any bushcraft in China? I'm moving there in february, and promised myself after my first trip there that I'd get out deeper into the countryside and see some serious wilderness. I've got locations in mind, like beside the great wall, the forests of Sichuan and a neighbouring province that's full of ethnic minorities in small villages, where visitors are liable to get invited in as guests. I know that most of what western bushcrafters learn for pure satisfaction still survives over there for subsistence, but only in outlying areas where they won't even speak mandarin, let alone English, and communication could be glacially slow. The moral of the story IS, if you know anything, even the title of a good, relevant book, please share. Once I'm over there I should have plenty of succulent information to give back.

Here are a couple of pictures of the kind of place I'm talking about: http://www.paulnoll.com/China/Excursions/Banna-Dai-houses.html

Phil

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
gillmacca said:
About the only place i can think of you being able to have a fire, is in snowdonia (possible? in the remote parts) and up in the highlands

this is one which i regularly over looked.. but below the high tide mark you can light a fire.. as you are technically sitting on the bottom of the sea no one can tell you other wise :nana:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
philaw said:
Hi all, I'm new to the site (this is my first post) and to bushcraft (in that I haven't done any yet). I know it's a hell of a long shot, but have any of you done any, heard of any, or read of any bushcraft in China? I'm moving there in february, and promised myself after my first trip there that I'd get out deeper into the countryside and see some serious wilderness. I've got locations in mind, like beside the great wall, the forests of Sichuan and a neighbouring province that's full of ethnic minorities in small villages, where visitors are liable to get invited in as guests. I know that most of what western bushcrafters learn for pure satisfaction still survives over there for subsistence, but only in outlying areas where they won't even speak mandarin, let alone English, and communication could be glacially slow. The moral of the story IS, if you know anything, even the title of a good, relevant book, please share. Once I'm over there I should have plenty of succulent information to give back.

Here are a couple of pictures of the kind of place I'm talking about: http://www.paulnoll.com/China/Excursions/Banna-Dai-houses.html

Phil
If you have access to sky TV and available to view at about 12.30 am there is a program on called 'about China' and they often do rural reports from the provinces.Unfortunately unless the places are named after food like, Peking Duck, I can't remember them.The channel is about sky 560. Sorry to be so vague, but it gives you a starting point!

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
bushwacker bob said:
If you have access to sky TV and available to view at about 12.30 am there is a program on called 'about China' and they often do rural reports from the provinces.Unfortunately unless the places are named after food like, Peking Duck, I can't remember them.The channel is about sky 560. Sorry to be so vague, but it gives you a starting point!
Thanks Bob, I've watched that program a few times. They tend to go to (nice) touristy places, many of which I've been to before, but they've also given me a couple of good ideas. My wife (who's Chinese) is keen to go out into Sichuan with me, and says that we should be able to see a wild panda! Combine that with treks through forests and day trips to temples and you have a recipe for an unforgetable trip.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Hey everyone, check out "Land Access in Scotland" thread and see what you think!

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
£10,000 for a bit of woodland. As a kind of group timeshare, split between a load of bushcraftuk members it would be a good place for meets, and would cost little more than a goretex jacket and an alan wood knife for each person. Just a suggestion for the rest of you, if you haven't done it already, I'll be on my trip to China soon, and 5400 miles from scotland!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Tomtom....if you're having fires on beaches it's often required and always polite to let the coast guard know before hand. I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying it's a by-law in the Isle of White and maybe other places too... They're always ok with you doing it below the high water mark and are often more than happy that you bothered to ask them first :eek:):
Saves them wasting a callout if they don't know what's going on.

I have, to date, never been denied permission from a coast guard in any UK area that I've asked them.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
bambodoggy said:
Tomtom....if you're having fires on beaches it's often required and always polite to let the coast guard know before hand.

i live in a fairly small community.. know all the coastguards around here.. and i will be when when i am around on a more perminant reason.. if i was to tell them they would probably say "why you tell in us :?: "..and i was told you are alowed to do farily well what you wish below the high tide line, with out having to tell anyone..??

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey if you know them all then I guess that's cool.... If you live in a place where you don't need to let them know then you're right they may think you mad for telling them... :p

As I said they are by-laws but they are there to stop false call-outs etc...not to stop you doing what you want or enjoying yourself and I presume they change from place to place and some places won't have them so you can do what you like.

Everywhere is different and clearly we all know our own places but I'd hate for someone on here to (for example) get a grilling from the coast guard while on holiday on the Isle of White and only have "Tomtom said it was ok below the tide mark" as their defence!!! :eek:):

Certainly didn't mean to speak out of turn mate! :wave:

I worked on an Outdoor Centre in Bude in Cornwall a few years back and the coast guards there could get a bit funny about them but I think that was more to do with people getting plastered and leaving litter all over the beaches.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
bambodoggy said:
Certainly didn't mean to speak out of turn mate! :wave:

yu didnt.. i have to admit, i didnt know those by-laws, and was under a wong impression about what i was allowed to do, cheers :super: :biggthump

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
Search maps of area for private land - google the owners name and address and ask permission.

Might take a while, but sooner or later a professional approach will get results.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Don't forget the beach as an option. Along the coast there are many secluded bays where you could set up camp, light a fire, and enjoy the privacy. Noone's going to moan at you about fire risk on sand or shingle beach... Just makes sure you check the type of shingle it is, having your stones exploding while dinner cooks is a bit of a shock... trust me...

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE