Where to go near W Yorks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Hi all, I'm getting quite excited now because I'm booked onto the Woodlore Fundamental Bushcraft course in July. -I've been waiting for over a year...

After the course I want to practice my newly acquired skills and spend a night out in the woods with minimal kit, practice fire lighting and possibly shelter making.

I've sat with my OS maps out looking for a large enough woodland so that I can 'disappear' into it, without being too close to paths. The best thing I can see appears to be the Forest of Bowland.

Does anyone have any knowledge of bushcrafting here?

Cheers

Jay

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There does seem to be some sizeable patches of woodland in and around Badford, I see it most days when i am driving around trying to get into peoples houses to change their gas meters! :rolleyes:

I think you need to be contacting members such as eds, and I think Shewies' wood was more towards Halifax/Bradford area although I can't quite remember.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I did scour the maps but I was looking for something a couple of km across. I guess bushcraft could be done in a large garden but I was thinking about being 'out of the way' more.

I'll have a look for shewies wood. Cheers

Jay

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
A couple of kms across is quite large for UK. I know what you mean though, I had pristine woodland to visit when I was in Germany. No dog mess, no tins or bottles or cans scattered every which way. No fire scarring or chopping down of trees willy nilly, plenty of amazing wildlife such as eagles, wild boar and deer. It was great.

Then i came back to plastic bag trees and dog poo, abandoned barbeques and filth. The further you can get from a town or city, the better it will be. If it is difficult for you to gret out there, then consider how difficult it will be for the scum to get out there. Hopefully, they won't have bothered and it will be a better and cleaner place for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE