Where to go in the south?

Barney Garcia

Jul 22, 2009
Sussex
Hello all, I'm new to he site and thought I'd kick-off my arrival with a question that has bugged me for a long while. Where is the best place to go bushcrafting in the Sussex area? I've been bushcrafting since I was around 11 with my dad and I'm now 19, I've not yet found an area where I'm not looking over my shoulder all the time in fear of park rangers, or when that isn't the case the environment is rather bland. I realise that it's not the done thing to bushcraft without permission, but the forestry commission refuses to give permission even to build debris huts and I don't know anyone who owns suitable land privately. Can anyone offer any advice?
Thank you and hello,
Barnaby

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Barney Welcome from Sussex!

Where abouts are you mate, I'm in Brighton and know a few good woods for day bushcraft. I also might be able to help you out with a wood to stay for a few nights in as well.

PM me if you're interested.

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
Black berry wood near Plumpton, over the back of Lewes- never been, but it is meant to be relaxed about Bushcraft stuff - I do quite alot of wild "naughty camping" on the downs- I just set up late, no open fires, and leave with everything i came with(poo inc), then leave around sun rise. I have been asked by land managers and the od farmer "what are you doing here" but when they see my set up (bivi, small stove,dedicated rubbish bag etc) they never mind really. I think it comes down to how you are respecting the land and how polite you can be.
Now, is that the sound of sirens i here?

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Sussex man, that site is always VERY BUSY!

The alternative I use is Parkwood Scout Campsite on Henfield Road near Rushfields garden centre (http://www.parkwoodcampsite.org.uk/).

Its the home of Brighton Scout Camping and free to use if you are Brighton/Sussex Scout member/leader, or about £2.75 per person, per night.

VERY MINIMAL, just some toilets at the front and a tap point on each pitch.

Here is a panoramic of my last ptich.

parkwood.jpg

Barney Garcia

Jul 22, 2009
Sussex
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in replying, I had a reeeeeeally big cycling accident not long after I posted my first message. I dislocated my shoulder and tore literally every muscle and ligament bar one and dislocated my finger on the opposite hand so i've been stuck in bed and unable to do anything for a fair ol' while. Good news is I can go back to bushcrafting reasonably soon now, though the same can't be said for cycling as the wheels on my bike are somewhat squished!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE