where to bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chinook220

Forager
Jan 7, 2010
Warwickshire
guys

please help, I need to find a bit of wooded area that I can play in the woods without general public getting worried about me cutting bits of wood with an axe. tarp up small fire on the go etc

Dont mind paying a small fee or doing work tasks for the privilege
any ideas

cheers chinook

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
You need to approach one or two local farmers who have woodland and explain what you would like to do and how frequently you want to do so and to seek their permission. You might take a Ray Mears book with you so he can associate what you are doing as he may seen Ray on the TV. Notify him when you are going be there and as trust builds asks if you can light a fire etc. It might be nice to ask if he wants a fee for doing so but my guess is that most will probably not.

Others may take a different view?

Hi Chinook220,
The best way, is of course to approach the landowners. I believe in the up front and honest approach, that way the general public are much less likely to be persecuting us.
I've learned a method from someone ... fairly wise ;) (thanks Mr P), a great way to approach landowners.
Firstly, do not instantaneously blurt out the fact that you would like to practice bushcraft skills on their land. Again, there are common mis-conceptions about the things we do, and the type of people we are. Everyday day Farmer Giles or Lord Toff isn't going to know you from 'Adam' and doesn't really want drunken parties around a big fire in his woods.
Make the first approach by politely explaining that you are interested in local wildlife, and a keen wildlife photographer, and could you please spend some time photographing wildlife on a patch of land that he / she owns. Over time you should build up a good rapport with the person, and thus gain some element of trust. Then maybe after a while ask if it's ok to light a very small, contained fire to make a brew, and maybe a bacon buttie for lunch.
Eventually, you could try asking permission to STAY (not saying the word CAMP) overnight so as to observe nocturnal animals. Then .. hey presto, you've got yourself an overnight stay.
On top of this, you could eventually purvey the fact that you can carry out some woodland husbandry, and maybe add a little security to his land by just being there once in a while to stop people getting drunk and having a big fire!

Last edited:

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
Sorry to thread-hijack but it seems pointless duplicating a thread - what is the best way to find out who owns what?

I've identified several tracts of woodland near me but I haven't gone any further because I have no idea which farm/house/landowner the woodland belongs to - some are bordered by as many as 8 or 9 farmhouses?

Does anyone know of a shortcut to find out who owns what?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE