Where next ?

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
My last outing was titled How and Why with an explanation of how it came about. With this post I was trying to think of somewhere that wasn't Limestone like the last few tours and somewhere I'd not been so out with the maps and this caught my eye Jenny Twigg and her daughter Tib, a bit of Googling gives they're two large sculptured Millstone grit boulders a few hundred yards off the end but out of sight of Sypeland crags.
JennyTwiggandDaughterTibmap.jpg

Consulting my weather oracle Teddy :rolleyes: his piece of seaweed and fircone reckon Tuesdays the best day this coming week so I should be passing through Pateley bridge around 10 o'clock in the morning to park at the end of the track off the Lofthouse road for a photo bimble and dinner stop.
cheers all Danny

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds interesting Danny

If you're heading out Friday at all give me a shout as I could be at a loose end using up the last of my holidays.
Hopefully I'll be picking up my new canoe but if that doesn't materialise I could be kicking my heels all day.

EdS

No getting out of work this Tuesday as I'm on holiday form Thursday.

One of my favourite green laning trips out is on those tracks.

It has only be accessible since open access land came in. Just a bit further long is Arnagill Tower (SE 1524 7572) - a dumpy folly. Then by Arnagill Crags is a sighting tower -sometimes mistakenly called Arnagill Tower (SE 15931 7702). This tower was used to triangulate the end of the reservoir form Harrogate or something.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/24371

There is another one at Carlesmoor used to triangulate the end points of a water tunnel from the reservoir to Harrogate. (SE 1945 7374) and one on Carle Moor (SE 1776 7428)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colsterdale_towers

This might be of interest as well:

http://www.jimjarratt.co.uk/follies/page1.html

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Rich thanks for offer but the seaweed and fircone reckon the high thats been sitting over us for a few days
is going to be replaced by a set of lows bringing wet and windy weather from the South West you might need the canoe by Friday
Hi Ed cheers for links though the first one seems to be Kings theater Glasgow ?
I've seen the sighting tower from the Lofthouse Masham road as it's a favorite motorbike route
then Hawes and back by Buckden Kettlewell, not heard of the folly tower or the book of follys, some good tour starts to read there
cheers both :beerchug: Danny

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Set off this morning Earby-Thornton in Craven-Skipton-Embsay-Eastby-Barden-Appletreewick-Greenhow-Pateley Bridge-
-Wath-Ramsgill-Lofthouse then parked at the end of the track off the Masham road and followed it up onto the moor
passing enough snow for a photo shoot
JennyTwigg004.jpg

taking the left fork the stones come into view
JennyTwigg022.jpg

going past them up onto the ridge to look back at them
JennyTwigg073.jpg

it was that windy at one point I'd to chase my hat so I dropped down to a line of Grouse butts to find a sheltered spot for dinner
JennyTwigg095.jpg

the view of Jenny Twigg and Tib from the butt
JennyTwigg098.jpg

after a brew it was time for steak and onion
JennyTwigg108.jpg

fried in olive oil on industrial meths in the burner
JennyTwigg107.jpg

served on home made bread with an Austrailian Shiraz (Hardys Bin 53)
JennyTwigg110.jpg

followed the wall back passed Black gutter head
JennyTwigg113.jpg

with the weather improving on the way home I turned off just before Barden onto the Hazel wood Storiths road to have a look at the Laund oak at SE 07292 56128 Laund Oak link
JennyTwigg152.jpg

before joining the Harrogate Skipton road to head back home.
just thought I'd share
cheers all Danny

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
the big mushroom rock in the middle had one dry cup but the rock to the right
JennyTwigg089.jpg

had one dry and two with water in
JennyTwigg076.jpg

anyone any ideas as to what? who? and why?
cheers Danny

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE