Where in Scotland!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
SWMBO wants to take me somewhere for my 21st birthday next year, and we want to go somewhere new - she suggested Aviemore, but tbh, it seems a bit too much like an attraction to me. I tend to prefer a bit more solitude when out and about, and since we'll be going in June or July I don't think Aviemore is right.

So, I'd like somewhere a bit more secluded. SWMBO's not really up for camping, and has her heart set on a chalet :)rolleyes: ) but that's negotiable. Most important things I guess is that there's somewhere warm and dry to stay and sleep with a shower, and I can get to some nice outdoorsy place to do some outdoorsy things! Preferably where a knife won't scare the locals too :rolleyes: The ability to light a fire without being arrested for being a wilderness terrorist would be nice :D

Any suggestions folks?

Pete

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
U could try Glen Etive mate , plenty solitude , u can have a bon fire if u want , and u'll have no problems using yir knife, the only thing to worry aboot is the dreaded midge... arghhhhhhh, she is wee but she can bite like feck... haa haa. so always have yir midge net on u at aw times... enjoy yir time in bonnie Scotland

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
U could try Glen Etive mate , plenty solitude , u can have a bon fire if u want , and u'll have no problems using yir knife, the only thing to worry aboot is the dreaded midge... arghhhhhhh, she is wee but she can bite like feck... haa haa. so always have yir midge net on u at aw times... enjoy yir time in bonnie Scotland

Bon fires are actually ilegal unless sanctioned and you will certainly not get on with either the landowner (tried to shut the road off due to irepsonsible campers) or the local Constabulary.

A small camp fire is acceptable as long as no trace is left, eg light it below the high tide line. The loch lomond area has had some areas banned, no camping, due to bonfires and other behaviours.

Have a good trip.

Nick

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
have seen glen etive in the summer , fires galore m8 .. nobody bothers mate it's too far oot for any body to bother u .. as long as u leave the place as u found it .. take all ur rubbish with u no harm done ... I've had some great times up loch etive a great wee place ...

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Try here. They have caravans and chalets for rent. All the oakwoods you could wish for. Great sea loch literally across the road. Fabulous scenery and a mountain to climb from the site. Plenty wild food to gather. I have been going there for over 20 years.:)

www.resipole.co.uk/

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Bon fires are actually ilegal unless sanctioned and you will certainly not get on with either the landowner (tried to shut the road off due to irepsonsible campers) or the local Constabulary.

A small camp fire is acceptable as long as no trace is left, eg light it below the high tide line. The loch lomond area has had some areas banned, no camping, due to bonfires and other behaviours.

Have a good trip.

Nick

Nick is right. It's also illegal to light a fire in Scotland near a road or in or near a 'plantation'.

Loch Etive is good as there is plenty of dead wood and fires on the foreshore are better both legally and from a leave no trace point of view:

DSCF0938.jpg

Glen Affric is beautiful but I would not light a fire anywhere there except on the lochside gravel, and even then would keep it small:

knoydart020.jpg

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Any fire will be visible to the locals. The road head end, north, was nearyl shut recently to the public. Due to rubbish, noise and big fires. Yes the actual lochsides are quiet and peaceful but as pics above, keep the fires small. The riverside in Glen Etive is littered with fire scars.

Nick

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Any fire will be visible to the locals. The road head end, north, was nearyl shut recently to the public. Due to rubbish, noise and big fires. Yes the actual lochsides are quiet and peaceful but as pics above, keep the fires small. The riverside in Glen Etive is littered with fire scars.

Nick

i totally agree what u r saying mate, but it happen's ..

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
we were up there a couple of months ago at kilchoan house hotel, we camped out in the back of the hotel... great people wee had great jammin session in the pub till the very early hours ...

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Cheers for the suggestions folks!
Most places unfortunately seem either too secluded for SWMBO's comfort or too comfortable for me :rolleyes: I have, however, remembered that Toddy suggested Comriecroft to me for the very purpose of keeping me and SWMBO both happy (and at the same time :lmao: ) so I'll need to look into that :D

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE