Where in Cumbria is Bowerdale?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
All the main news sites are showing a picture of someone digging their house out with huge icicles hanging from the roof. I the caption they all describe the location as Bowerdale, Cumbria.

I know most of the lakes very well and wider Cumbria less so. So whilst I'm certain they meant Borrowdale there is a possibility in wider Cumbria there is a Bowerdale. So I thought I'd ask here.

Anyone know such a place?

PS one news site in their article on the airlift to Cumbria managed to show-horn a London story about how they're suffering because of a burst watermain. Weather stops north of Watford gap unless it's country shut down type of winter event. But why include London into a Cumbrian story

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
All the main news sites are showing a picture of someone digging their house out with huge icicles hanging from the roof. I the caption they all describe the location as Bowerdale, Cumbria.

I know most of the lakes very well and wider Cumbria less so. So whilst I'm certain they meant Borrowdale there is a possibility in wider Cumbria there is a Bowerdale. So I thought I'd ask here.

Anyone know such a place?

PS one news site in their article on the airlift to Cumbria managed to show-horn a London story about how they're suffering because of a burst watermain. Weather stops north of Watford gap unless it's country shut down type of winter event. But why include London into a Cumbrian story

M6 junction 38 its off the A685 on the way to Kirby Stephen

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's where a few said it was. Just gone old school and looked at text in BBC TV and it gave the areas subject to airlift. Operation boomster. They went to Alston, Fellside and south Stainmore.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Google finds this but the map calls it Bowderdale Beck. Plus no houses to be supplied by chinook.

There's a Bowerdale in the pennine part of Cumbria, Alston or northeast of Tebay IIRC. Probably best bet.

Just look a bit North of the place the link takes yo - follow the Beck and you get to the hamlet of - Tah Dah -Bowerdale - on the A685!
Basic nav skills pals!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Tried it but for some reason chrome on phone didn't work with the arrows for me. Hard to use navigation skills when the technology fails. Wish I had good old paper maps for that area. Better than technology at times.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tried it but for some reason chrome on phone didn't work with the arrows for me. Hard to use navigation skills when the technology fails. Wish I had good old paper maps for that area. Better than technology at times.
This illustrates how technology is too fallible for real nav!
Fine for getting your Amazon package delivered when you are not in but useless for real nav....:)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It shows how poor streetmaps is on android using chrome to view it. We're not navigating at home just looking for place names in a poor, online news article.

If I'd gone onto My viewranger app and downloaded the free tiles for the area I'd have had no problem finding the place and then using my phone to navigate there. Or I Could have bought a satnav loaded with OS maps and used that.

Technology works but not all of it, all of the time. At least if your keep hold of your paper map and keep it dry it'll work as required without fail (assumptions aside). Streetmaps for me that time was no better than trying to use a paper map in a shower or heavy rain without protection for it. Both would have got me nowhere.

Still I'm more a paper /plastic map person than a smartphone map person.

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE