Where have all the frogs gone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Himself brought me home a bagful of frogspawn a week ago. I've got them in two clear pails in the greenhouse just now. Those tiny wee black dots from last week are already comma shaped and wriggling a little :)

I still haven't gathered any and put them in a tank for the grandchildren (5, 8 and 12) to witness that miraculous transformation from egg to miniature frog. The problem is we can't guarantee being around for the latter part of the process as we're often trekking - I should have done it during the lock-down years :( - what an opportunity missed.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm just relieved that there's a burn just outside the back fence :) I have no idea where I'd put them otherwise if they all hatch.

We have newts in our ponds, and they'll eat the young tadpoles, while those that survive will then eat the newtpoles. I try to keep the ponds thriving, but at the end of the day, it's just nature.

Reactions: Broch

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
We had our first spawn about a week ago. We also have three herons coming and going who I imagine may try and eat it? They certainly like frogs!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
The toads around our way are active.
Look at this happy pair, having a jolly game of piggybacks...

51955304087_74afe96e4e_z.jpg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What kind of Toads are they?

I think of Common toads as being rather plain in colour...though I have seen blotched ones.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Natterjacks are very distinctive; and specific in the places they like to live too.

Beautiful creatures

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE