Where do butterflies go to dream

nitram55

Forager
Feb 24, 2006
Tamworth Staffs
This year I have had loads of butterflies on the buddlia in my garden, this prompted me to wonder where they go at night as I have never seen them at night when I am out and about.

Any thoughts ?

Martin

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Some cling on underneath leaves, others cling head down onto stems and shut their wings up, others crawl into the same kinds of places you'll find moths in the day - under rocks etc. They don't sleep. The just rest, as it's too cool to get up to operating temperature... and they don't have eyelids... like Michael Jackson (or is that just a rumour?)

There are nocturnal butterflies however.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
"Once upon a time, Chuang Tzu dreamed that he was a butterfly, a butterfly fluttering about, enjoying itself. It did not know that it was Chuang Tzu. Suddenly he awoke with a start and he was Chuang Tzu again. But he did not know whether he was Chuang Tzu who had dreamed that he was a butterfly, or whether he was a butterfly dreaming that he was Chuang Tzu.

-Chuang Tzu (4th Century BC Chinese Taoist philosopher )
Perhaps it was you on the Buddleia? :)

To the sensible side of the question I think this quote sums it up well;
The short answer to your question is: sort of. Butterflies need the sun's warmth to keep them active, so at times when the sun isn't shining, they close their wings and rest. This resting state is sort of like sleep, but it's more like just being really tired. When they're resting, butterflies usually don't move around, but they can if they need to. They also don't need to eat as often in this resting state. When the sun comes out, their bodies warm up and they fly off looking for food again.

The other part of your question is: where do they rest? Since there are a lot of birds and bats that would love to eat a resting butterfly, they need to pick a pretty well-hidden place. Many butterflies rest on the bark of a tree. The rough surface of the tree helps them blend in and makes them harder to spot. Another favorite place is on the underside of leaves.
source: RE: Do Butterflies Sleep? Tim Susman, Staff Zoology, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, USAhttp://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec96/846539049.Zo.r.html

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
On the other hand Simon - do you never rest my friend (in sympathy from on who often can't) ;)

Red

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
British Red said:
On the other hand Simon - do you never rest my friend (in sympathy from on who often can't) ;)

Red
It is the curse of the night owl ;) and I am doing a lot of research right now, so my head is full of swirling thoughts which doesn't help :)

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Often wondered about moths and butterflies. Do butterflies look down upon moths or do they secretly admire their less polished cousins?

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
Some of this thread is starting to sound like parts of Bladerunner. :)
You are walking through a desert....... :D
Sorry.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE