Where can we camp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 2, 2006
Devon
We are new bushcraft enthusiasts who want to camp on the wild side, but whenever we search for camp sites in the UK all we come up with is places for camper vans, caravans and those mobile home things. Where can two adults and a child go camping without all that clutter? No point us buying the tent if we can't go further than the back garden.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Depends where you are looking to got camping I suppose. There are a few campsites in Dartmoor and Snowdon area that are a bit more "wild" and allow fires, there are a couple of others that spring to mind.

I would suggest contacting the Tourist Information Centres of any areas of interest and asking if they know of any really basic campsites that are for tents only etc....

Good luck with your search.

P.S I've also used this website to source decent campsites in the past: http://camping.uk-directory.com/camping_forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
It may also be worth speaking to local land agents, land owners and friendly rangers like myself :lmao:

Mark

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
You are facing a huge issue, I say huge as I'm suffering the same problem, lacking in confidence to approach land owners I fear I may be limited. Although a friendly ranger is new, perhaps we can chat sometime.

Anyway, andyn hit the nail on the head re campsites. There are a couple of sites in Sussex that I can think of, if you're interested PM me and I'll let you have their names.

I use this site which I've passed on to friends in the past and I think we've all found it useful

Good luck and let us know how you get on, your not alone.

P.S. I have two mini me's so appreciate how hard it can be.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

Pib

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Have you guys thought about beaches? They might be a bit exposed and it may be difficult pitching camp, but for some reason no-one seems to bother about people camping or having fires on beaches if they are a bit out of the way.

May 2, 2006
Devon
Wow
That was quick - so many replies in so little time. We have though of camping on the beach and there is a suitable one near us. One couple we know rented their house out for a month in the summer and camped there - a brilliant idea if ever there was one. However, the tide comes quite far up and so you have to pitch in the right place. Because we are lucky to live by the sea we rather fancy camping by a river, lake or in the woods. We'd like to drive and camp our way across France and Spain too, at some point.
I'll try Tourist Information and that other website suggested. Dartmoor would be fun, and not far from us so suitable for a weekend break.
Pib, I'm new to this. How to I PM you? I would like the names of those sites, thanks. Good to meet a fellow bushcraft lover with offspring.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Betsy checked the top right of this page you'll see private message, click this if you see a number 1 as I've just PM'd.

If you don't see a 1 it hasn't worked! :aargh4:

Pib

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE