where can i find sweet chestnuts in cheshire??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys,

I want to go out and find myself some sweet chestnuts. Does anyone know i can find these in the cheshire area. anyone know if delamer forest have some and if so where? I would be really greatful for the info

p.s anyone know where i can pick hazelnuts too??

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Morrisons sell them :)

My searches round here only found tiny little ones, I put it down to the strong winds we had a few months ago.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My sisters old school had them in its ground. Funny how noone wanted them but she got a few back to us in the odd season. That was in Chester in the outskirts. Don't ask me where or the name of the school. Its a predominantly girls school so I wouldn't recommend trying to pick them from there if I was you. Not wise.

I had heard Cheshire as a county does have quite a few Sweet Chestnut trees just don;t know any to recommend.

Have seen a few beech nuts I think in the Lakes if that is any use. Also some cob nuts. I keep forgetting to remember where they were to come back and collect. No organisation. Hazlenuts too. Lakes has them all, just need the local knowledge. The best thing is just get out as much as poss to many possible areas thoughout the year noting interesting trees. Then when it is the right time of year going back to collect the nuts. That is what I keep meaning to do but never have yet.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Drive between Knutsford and Holmes chapel. On that road as you go towards Holmes Chapel park up at the Drovers Arms. Acroos the road is a small road leading towards Boots Green and Goostrey. Go up there and take the first left - towards Wood End Farm. Walk all the way up this track. At the end (Wood End farm) you can keep going straight. Don't. Bear left (right angle) past the last house on the left and enter the woods. Mind your footing as you go down the slope towards the stream - its slippy. Go across a small field and re-enter the woods. Get to a largish bridge over a stream (go quiet and watch for Knigfishers). Cross the bridge and turn left. Following the bank you will find loads of sweet chestnut. Gather up, keep following the path up past the flower nursery and turn left at the farm track. Follow till you meet the road and turn left. Follow for a few hundred yards and you will wind up back at the pub.

Red

Nov 13, 2013
Runcorn
:approve:
Hi guys,

I want to go out and find myself some sweet chestnuts. Does anyone know i can find these in the cheshire area. anyone know if delamer forest have some and if so where? I would be really greatful for the info

p.s anyone know where i can pick hazelnuts too??

You could try comming off Runcorn/Widnes bridge on the Widnes side and following the usual foot path on the right and taking it until it bends to the right into widnes town. And you will find that there is a sweet chestnut tree over hanging a concrete fence.

I have picked chestnute a few times and can vouch that I have eaten and enjoyed them with dinner, usually toasted seems to be best since the skins peal more easily away.

Yours very truthely

S. Corner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE