What's this then?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
It does indeed appear to be Fomes Fomentarius, alot of people believe that it only grows in the north on dead birch....however it is actually fairly widespread and in the south, tends to grow on beech and only occasionally on birch.
I am not an expert on fungi, but what you have there is very similar to FF that I have found but a slightly lighter colour.
One test which sometimes works......the white pore mouths on the bottom of the fungi will, if its alive, turn a pale purple when touched.(has only rarly worked for me.)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Thanks Bob.

I thought it was but wasn't too sure if it was found this far south.

I have prodded the base and there are dark marks where I pushed.The whole thing seemed very solid,no "give" at all under finger pressure.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
It does indeed look like FF. and quite a small young one.
What Ranger Bob said about tree host is right, although down south they have also been found on sycamore trees.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
Marts said:
they have also been found on sycamore trees.

Really!!! That a new one on me......is that the south in general or is it localised somewhere? Oh, and is that on living or dead sycamore?

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Sycamore and Beech in Southern England. Have to say I've never personally found them on sycamore. I assume that it will be dying/dead standing trees as its a long-term white-heart rot pathogen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE