What's this then please?...anyone.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi Wicca,

Had a quick look through an old 'Whitby & Co' catalogue

WhitbyCoKnife001.jpg

Looks like it could be one of these........

WhitbyCoKnife003.jpg

They sold them as the Whitby 'Black Diamond' hunting knife.

WhitbyCoKnife004.jpg

A bit of searching through some old magazines,(Survival and Outdoor Techniques) unearthed this reivew from Jan 1993........

WhitbyCoKnife005.jpg

WhitbyCoKnife014.jpg

WhitbyCoKnife011.jpg

WhitbyCoKnife012.jpg

WhitbyCoKnife015.jpg

WhitbyCoKnife016.jpg

WhitbyCoKnife010.jpg

Hope this is of some help.

Sean.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
That's the one Sean! Sheath is identical too. The plot thickens...:) The publication that did the review could possibly be the outfit that Lofty is connected with, I'm not sure. My informant said that the design was down to LW but of course shops and businesses are still attaching "famous" names of individuals and organisations to products to boost sales, so perhaps his name just got chucked in the pot to sell the knife. That's brilliant, thanks mate, you've got me intrigued now. (I'll probably find it was designed by a little old man in Sheffield who's never heard of LW) :D :D

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
:lmao: Sean, go to Trueways survival website and in 'search' type Oakwood knife..there's an article comes up by a gentleman named Trevord 28/05/07 on the Oakwood knife...designed by ..Lofty Wiseman!!! Whitby produced it as Black Diamond too. From that article, and I'm guessing, he may have designed the knife originally sold as an Oakwood and then remarketed it with his signature on the blade as the LW survival tool. I'll shut up now..so! it's a knife that's all...(but I do like to get to the history of things)..:lmao:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Seemed half decent Squidders, think the only time I used it was to cut some tall Hedge Parsley down that the Grandaughter kept getting lost in down the far end of the garden. :D

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
:) She's 19 now, studying law at university and is a part time fashion model. Work stops on building sites when she walks by.. Where have the years gone KK? :D :D

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi Wicca,

I'm actually pretty sure that the Whitby Knife is nothing to do with Lofty Wiseman.

The following is a review of the Oakwood knife (aka Lofty Wiseman survival tool) from the same magazine (Jan 93). The review of the Whitby Black Diamond the author makes a comparison between the two knives highlighting the difference in price.......

'For those who have the need of a large bush-type knife, and who are unable, or unwilling, to shell out £160 for an Oakwood, Whitby produce a budget priced knife that may well fit the bill. Costing only £34.75 the Whitby Black Diamond is simpler and smaller than the Oakwood, but still large enough for shelter contruction...'

I wonder if this part of the Black Diamond reveiw was miss read and someone thought that the two Knives had a shared heritage?

Anyway have a read and see what you think.

Oakwood001.jpg

Oakwood002.jpg

Oakwood003.jpg

Oakwood004.jpg

Oakwood005.jpg

Oakwood006.jpg

Oakwood007.jpg

Oakwood008.jpg

Oakwood009.jpg

Oakwood010.jpg

Oakwood011.jpg

Oakwood012.jpg

Oakwood013.jpg

Oakwood014.jpg

Oakwood015.jpg

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Ah! That's brilliant Sean. Mystery solved then, that Oakwood is a totally different knife. Just goes to show how people like to attach a 'Famous name' to something, probably just to help sales. Thanks for tidying that up mate, I'll 'phone the bloke known as 'Mad Pete the Para' who gave me the duff gen and tell him tomorrow, should be good for a laugh. (He only made one jump and I think he landed on his head)..:D :D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE