What's on your porridge?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What's on your porridge?

• Sugar

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Salt

Votes: 48 21.2%
  • Honey

Votes: 87 38.5%
  • Milk

Votes: 52 23.0%
  • Jam

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Nothing

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • Don't like porridge

Votes: 13 5.8%

• Total voters

Tubbyfraser

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2008
Nowhere
I cook the oats/oatmeal in water with a little salt added then serve and top it with a wee drop milk. Very occasionally I might add extra salt. Has to be salt - you don't make oatcakes with sugar, do you?

TF

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
This,

st.jpg

on this,

jordans-organic-porridge-oats.jpg

made with this,

Cadbury_s_Marvel_8.jpg
character0076.gif

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol
I've only recently 'got' porridge and that is because I started soaking it overnight rather than cooking it - I really don't like it hot

The good lady just has it with cold water and either golden syrup, molasses or sometimes agave syrup

Anyone have any other savoury additions? Been reading about scrambled eggs which is tempting

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
I'm a rolled oats cooked through in water and salt kinda man, then add milk to the bowl. Need to try oats soaked overnight sounds good.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i have porridge every morning and i have it plain...no sugar or honey or jam..for me but i would luv sum but i cant i am diabetic..atb allan

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
salt if im in scotland with family and its proper porridge oats
"Insti porridge" in a plastic bowl (think supernoodle) add hot water to reconstitute then condensed milk from a squeezy tube mmmmm

Cooked with water and a pinch of salt, Another pinch of salt on top when served and a separate bowl of milk to dip my spoon of porridge in on the way to my mouth. My oldest daughter likes it cooked in milk and then honey or syrup on top. I think I may have to dis-own her!!

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
A touch of salt added to a 'sweet' dish will often enhance all the flavours (even a good espresso...so long as you have it with sugar). I will eat anything, save marzipan and celery (food of Satan) and have often had porridge with just salt, but I have to have the right mindset that tells me that I am having a 'savoury' breakfast and not cereal per se. That said, my preference is for porridge made with milk, a small pinch of salt and dark muscavado sugar.

Conversely a pinch of sugar added to any dish containing tomatoes also works well.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
The only real way to eat it.:D

Absolutely! I have never taken to adding anything else and I still make it the traditional way with oats.

My dad was in the Royal Navy at the end of the war and the RN cooks served porridge with a quarter inch of sugar on top. The old man never ate porridge again in his life.

Any Scots here remember their families having a porridge drawer? My gran used to put leftover porridge in their and in the morning would slice a bit off to fry up for Grandad's breakfast (or often for his break at work). With just milk and salt, of course :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Demerera sugar all over the top surface to at least half the depth of a matchstick. (carefully dip tested) Otherwise I sulk and refuse to eat it...:lmao::lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE