what will happen if i boil water in a SIGG bottle.

RipD

Jan 24, 2011
Belgium
i'm planning to buy a SIGG water bottle and on their website i found this:

Can SIGG bottles be used for boiling water?
No. Strong heat can damage the outer coating.

In what way will the outer coating be damaged if i do, will it just remove the paint or will some other strange thing happen to the aluminum? what will happen? i dont mind my bottle beeing a bit black on the bottom or so...

also what would be better their aluminum or their stainless steel bottles? whats the pros and cons of AL vs SS?

thanks in advance.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I've boilied water in a SIGG lookalike from Decathlon and yes it blackens the paint and leaves burn marks on the outside. I can't see that it can harm it more than that though. Ali is widely used to make cooking pots so no problem there... So yes just aesthetic.
Ali vs Stainless..cost mostly I imagine. I guess the stainless will weigh a bit more, but it will be stronger... In the Alps I remember an ali bottle splitting when it was left in the car. I got ali ones as they were cheap, but if I'd found a decent stainless I'd have gone for that.
Cheers
Gareth

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
or a '44 pattern water bottle if you can find one! whichever you use just don't put the lid back on, i know its basic but automatic pilot might kick in when thinking off bottles and tops!

RipD

Jan 24, 2011
Belgium
the bottle would be used in the first place as a bottle for everyday use, to work and school as well as for camping use.

i don't know yet if i would always use it for boiling water (handy for making tea), or just know i can use it to boil water in, which would be great for an emergency since i don't take a complete cooking set with me on each hike.

i like the Guyot backpacker, which is just a stainless steel bottle without any inner layers?

so any alu or SS bottle without an inner layer would do?

i have a SIGG bottle but the inner layer is messed up (my dad wanted to clean it by shaking it arround with watter and pebbles inside, sharp edged pebbles...) since the inner layer has bits comming of of it i don't think its safe to drink from anymore, and iunno if testing it by boiling water in it would have the same results as a new bottle, what would you guys do with a bottle like that? i was just gonna toss it... iunno.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I got this reply via email

Hi Rob,
This comes with an eco care liner so boiling water in it is not suitable.
Made of aluminium, this is not suitable for extreme temperature be it hot or
cold as this will crack the skin of the bottle.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Andy Byrne
General Manager
All Outdoor Ltd

So looks like its a no.

RipD

Jan 24, 2011
Belgium
haha, k next week i have some spare time i'll boil some water in it and see what happens, since its hard to even look at the inside it'll be even harder to make pics of it but i'll try, maybe i will saw open the thing unless my dad wants to use it for something else...

about the guyot design bottles, which are stainless steel, which is guess IS suited for boiling water in, ive seen people paint them with a fireresistant paint, why is that? just so the bottle wont discolor blue/red when put in a fire?

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I've put boiling water into a SIGG bottle before to clean the inside out and it made the internal coating bubble and spall off. I definitely didn't want to drink from it after that.

As for painting stainless, if you don't it will either go black from the carbon in the flames or it will go various shades from blue to yellow if its heated on a gas flame. I would think people are painting them just to make them look good.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I use H2O Zone stainless bottles and they rock !!

31WtBRPqAJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sigg bottles do have an inner laquer that will burn off if you put it on the fire. Stainless needs no inner coatings so is fine, stronger too !!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE