what tree?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Pasted the pictures in.

Photo-0943.jpg

Photo-0942.jpg

Looks like a Lawson Cypress to me, but you might refine that looking at the following guides and poking around to see more of the structure and details than are shown in the photos.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Just followed your link, right clicked, opened image in new tab, then copy/pasted the URL link to the forum image by link tool :) Simples! :wacky:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
'Course....it might also be Leylandii, which was my first guess. If it ever needs to be felled, the wood is rubbish firewood, but is pretty rot resistant, even in contact with the ground. My experience has been on par with tanalised timber.

mimozine

Jan 26, 2021
north yorkshire
yeah cones look like the lawsons cyress.
this has got a wierd trunk though, the trunk keeps splitting into two, must have 14 or more trunks in total from a single base

Bsco85

Apr 17, 2021
Oxfordshire
Yes probably Lawson, perhaps Leylandii, probably not thuja. The crushed leaves will smell a pleasant lemon kinda smell for Lawson. If Thuja then it’ll smell like candied pineapple.
So which ever they are all softwoods. Yes sooty if burnt indoors but as firewood good at starting fires as have lots of flame, high sap content you see. As timber actually even Leylandii scum is actually pretty good structurally. Lawson better. Thuja amazing, the smell of Thuja timber is more ‘cedary’ than cedar. Also will make good Swedish flares if you know what they are. I’m arb and forestry so please ask on anything timber related. Ben

Reactions: SaraR

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
'Course....it might also be Leylandii, which was my first guess. If it ever needs to be felled, the wood is rubbish firewood, but is pretty rot resistant, even in contact with the ground. My experience has been on par with tanalised timber.
Rubbish firewood? Leylandii is awesome. Let it season for 2 years until it's silver grey then it's terrific, especially the branches which are quite dense. Go and post your lies on Arbtalk and see how they react! :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
For me "rubbish" = hot, fast, and with black smoke, which is how it has burned for me, and yes, it was bone dry, more than two years seasoned under cover. Good for lighting, but not for lasting embers. Takes up a lot of space in the log store for the amount of heat it puts into the house. I guess I was being slightly flippant to post that way. It isn't that much worse in those regards from some lighter maples and even fast grown birch. However, the comparison between firewood quality and durability makes me think burning it is a bit of a waste if one can use it and take advantage of its rot resistance.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My experience has been very different - I find it great to burn. I have an almost unlimited supply of it as so many people won't burn it

mimozine

Jan 26, 2021
north yorkshire
Yes probably Lawson, perhaps Leylandii, probably not thuja. The crushed leaves will smell a pleasant lemon kinda smell for Lawson. If Thuja then it’ll smell like candied pineapple.
So which ever they are all softwoods. Yes sooty if burnt indoors but as firewood good at starting fires as have lots of flame, high sap content you see. As timber actually even Leylandii scum is actually pretty good structurally. Lawson better. Thuja amazing, the smell of Thuja timber is more ‘cedary’ than cedar. Also will make good Swedish flares if you know what they are. I’m arb and forestry so please ask on anything timber related. Ben
not trying to be funny but the crushed leaves smell like pine to me

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
yeah cones look like the lawsons cyress.
this has got a wierd trunk though, the trunk keeps splitting into two, must have 14 or more trunks in total from a single base
There are lots and lots of variants of Lawson, some of them produce multiple stems and tend to be used as decorative shrubs forming a dense bush. It’s not Thuja, the leaves aren’t flat or glossy enough.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE