What to use instead or paracord for guy lines

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi all
The title says it all really
What have you found that is as good as paracord or better, and holds a good knot, dont want that slippy nylon stuff. its for tarps ridgelines and guy line etc
Cheers
Bill

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks
Can you be more specific like a link please or something to google
Cheers
Bill

Google 2mm accessory cord, you should get plenty of choice from the online climbing stores. If you've got a Decathlon or Go Outdoors nearby they'll have some.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Google 2mm accessory cord, you should get plenty of choice from the online climbing stores. If you've got a Decathlon or Go Outdoors nearby they'll have some.
Cheers Mate done that, thought you had some but yeah have had a little look, also looking for peoples advice of what they think works for them
Cheers Again
Bill

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Tarred bank line is great! Holds really well because of the tar, is sold on the bushcraft store (no affiliation etc) fairly cheap for a large amount :).

Hope this helps! :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers Mate done that, thought you had some but yeah have had a little look, also looking for peoples advice of what they think works for them
Cheers Again
Bill

I think the last lot I bought might have been from WalkHigh, but they were having a bad time recently so I wouldn't recommend them without research. The 18mm tubular webbing was good for hammocking too before I went lighter weight ...

http://walkhigh.co.uk/acatalog/Cord_and_Tape.html

At the time of ordering they had a 2mm vivid lime green with yellow flecks in, I bought 50m of it rigged out all my tarps. Stick walkhigh in google and see what folk are saying these days, I hope they're sorted out as I never had any probs with them.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
Hi all
The title says it all really
What have you found that is as good as paracord or better, and holds a good knot, dont want that slippy nylon stuff. its for tarps ridgelines and guy line etc
Cheers
Bill

It dose not matter if it dose the job

stonepark

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
Don't know if it will be any good as not yet received but whilst ordering 50lb braid for backing line for fly reels also ordered a 100m spool of the 300lb 1mm moss green 8 strand braid from the bay to try for a few things.

sent from my android

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I've just starting using a 2 mm sailing cord.its 7 quid for a 30m spool at the moment. I'll try find a link or address

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I cant really fault paracord, it simply works, buit I do have some 1.5mm dynnema and some dingy rigging to play with

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Another plus one for {should be 1.5mm} dyneema or zingit. I like zingit because you can splice it, which I've done for my hammock tarp. With 2mm dyneema cord I use a double stopper at one end and a bowline at the other. If you can find 2mm hollow braid dyneema (SK75 or Marlow D12) you can splice that to. I use 2mm dyneema cord for my long guyline on my trailstar with some lineloks, all bought from backpacking light (except the trailstar).

Last edited:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i like the idea but it looks like the 3-4mm stuff is about 40p to 50p a meter, you can get paracord from those lovely endicotts people at 15p a meter.
personal choice i guess but i've never had fault with paracord yet.
Pete

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
for those that are happy with nylon and are on a budget sportsdirect are sellng 50' lengths of guyline in store for £1.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE