what to put in a possibles pouch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ian_glover

Nov 29, 2010
Derbyshire
hey all.

Been watching spme youtube videos this morning, and alot of people talk about a "possibles pouch". what goes into one of these pouches? is it like a last resort pouch with survival gear?

thanks in advance

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
No, I think it's more like all the things that you would expect to dip into and use on a daily basis in a bushcrafting situation. Means of firelighting, fishing line and hooks, small first aid kit, sewing kit, means of water purification, small torch, loo roll - adjust the list to suit your own needs.

There is a good passge in Nessmuk's Woodcraft which talks about what is in his ditty-bag, if you want a read.

I'm sure if you search "possibles pouch contents" on here you'll get plenty of info

HTH

Rat

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...There is a good passge in Nessmuk's Woodcraft which talks about what is in his ditty-bag..."

"...And don't neglect to take what sailors call a "ditty-bag." This may be a little sack of chamois leather about 4 inches wide by 6 inches in length. Mine is before me as I write. Emptying the contents, I find it inventories as follows: A dozen hooks, running in size from small minnow hooks to large Limericks; four lines of six yards each, varying from the finest to a size sufficient for a ten-pound fish; three darning needles and a few common sewing needles; a dozen buttons; sewing silk; thread, and a small ball of strong yarn for darning socks; sticking salve; a bit of shoemaker's wax; beeswax; sinkers, and a very fine file for sharpening hooks. The ditty-bag weighs, with contents, 2 1/2 ounces; and it goes in a small buckskin bullet pouch, which I wear almost as constantly as my hat. The pouch has a sheath strongly sewed on the back side of it, where the light hunting knife is always at hand, and it also carries a two-ounce vial of fly medicine, a vial of "pain killer," and two or three gangs of hooks on brass wire snells–of which, more in another place. I can always go down into that pouch for a water-proof match safe, strings, compass, bits of linen and scarlet flannel (for frogging), copper tacks, and other light duffle. It is about as handy a piece of woods-kit as I carry..."

Nessmuk

Or...

"...The items most often found in my possibles bag are: compass, loud whistle, waterproof match safe, insect repellent, folding knife, personal medical kit, three-inch crepe bandage, strong twine, honing rods, chinagraph pencil..."

Ray Mears

:)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2009
Texas, USA
Possibles Pouch:

Bic Lighter; small roll of heavy trot line; 1.5”x4.5” adz/axe blade; small roll of braided fishing line; little bottle of Purell; small diamond sharpening stone; several band-aids; CM trapper pocket knife; small leather pad; sparking rod attached to a small deer tine; ceramic rod; hook knife blade.

These items may be somewhat unconventional but they are specific to the terrain I frequent: semi-arid, desert-like habitat. The Bic Lighter and sparking rod are for making fire. The Purell and band-aids are 1st aid items. The adz/ax blade and hook knife blade are of my own design and construction. The ax/adz blade can be attached to either an “insert” or “strap-on” handle and is used to make various camp items including shelter, camp chairs, cooking tools, traps, fishing gear etc.. The hook (spoon) knife is used to make eating utensils and for other woodcarving needs including making traps, bows and arrows. The trot line and fishing line can be used for fishing but I also use those items to attach the ax/adz blade and the hook knife blade. I also use the cordage when making traps, bows, and other food procurement items. I prefer the carbon steel trapper style pocket knife because the larger blade is used for woodcarving, food preparation and other whittling chores. The long straight blade makes an excellent scraper that I use every time I make a bow. The sharpening stone and rod are for the pocket knife, adz/ax and hook knife. The leather pad is for making a sling-shot or can be converted into a finger tab.

Not long ago I took the above items (and an SAK in my pocket and tin cup on my belt) and hiked six miles from my truck and camped for two days. I fished in a nearby pond and also ate nopal (prickly pear) shoots and tuna (fruit). I boiled water in my cup. It was not luxurious by any standards but surprisingly I found the most important item in my pouch was the ax/adz blade. Next in line came the hook knife blade and then the tin cup.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I would normally have a couple of bandaids, ferro rod, coffee sachets, whitener for my brew, hand sanitiser, maybe a couple of non alchohol wipes, some paracord and my eating irons or a spork. Just the kind of things I frequently use around the fire.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
My possibles pouch...

It contains the odds 'n' ends that I find handy to have with me when I'm out for a wander.

gear_bag_006.jpg

Contents...
gear_bag_007.jpg

a small nylon credit card pouch containing some basic first aid supplies and...
a very small brass compass,
a pair of tweezers,
a pair of nail clippers,
some needles and thread,

Additionally...

a WW2 Heliograph (not so much for signaling but to help extract insects or debris from my eyes),
2 meters of very strong but very thin cord,
a can opener,
a diamond sharpening stone,
a tin of Vaseline,
a whistle and a handle-less firesteel on a piece of cord,
a small tube of superglue (for sticking fingers back on etc.),
And I will sometimes I keep a small folding knife or carving jack in there.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE