What to do with Hawthorn berries?

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
I've never made anything using Hawthorn berries, i've eaten them raw but never processed as such. Theres a glut of them round here so i'd like to try and make something using them. Are fruit leathers a possibilty, does anyone have a recipe/method for this, or any other ideas about how to use them? Are the stones in them edible?

Any advice gratefully received :)

Andy >>>>>------------------------------<>

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
My advice HAWTHORNS-- They are not as good as RM makes them out to be-- Its good to have a go at trying these ideas but this one is a bit of a waist --only my opinion

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
nutricionally they aren't so bad with vit b and c plus something which is good for the heart but the key thing is its something free and abundant you can practise with.

I guess the seeds are edible as I've read somewhere about hawthorn flour

I wonder if you could make a yew berry leather?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I made a fruit leather with them last year - like someone said, it wasn't great. Perhaps the resulting leather can be mixed with other foods. I did mix some with sugar but to be honest I thought i tasted better without.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
boil and pass through a sieve toget the pips out then add 1lb of preserving sugar to each pound of fruit, makes a nice jam to go with meats.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
"Preserving sugar" is what it will say on the packet... I believe it's got pectin added to make the jam set ?

Cheers bikething, ill keep my eye out for some of that.

Ive just made a leather of sorts from Hawthorns, and here is what I did.

I started of by taking off ALL the stalks, but next time I probably wont be so strict about this ( I didnt pick that many berries, so it didnt take that long).

Then I tried to mush them up with an old jar and push them through a sieve. DONT BOTHER WITH THE SEIVE.

Once I figured out the seive method was useless I simply started to mush them with my hands whilst adding dribbles of water to creat a thick paste.

Th separate the pips from the paste, simply get a dolop in the palm of your hand and squeeze tightly. With your fist still clenched wipe off the paste that has been squeezed through your fingers and slop it in your bowl. What you will be left with in your hand are the seeds and possibly some of the skin.

Keep doing the above until most, of not all, of the seed are out.

The paste you are left with will set all on its own; no need for pectin or boiling.

It doesnt taste amazing but it is VERY good for the circulation and is full of vitamines. What is better, it will keep for ages. RM (in Wild Food) had some he said had kept for 3 years!!!!

Stu.

EDIT: The taste is VERY strong. Tastes a bit like crab apples, but more sour. It could maybe be melted into a cup of hot water with some sugar or honey, etc to improve the flavour. Anyway, as I said before, It is very good for the circulation and contains vital vitamins so is definately worth the trouble to make.

Incidently, an Infusion can be made from the leaves for the medicinal bennefit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE