What? Lynx in Sussex?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Moved one of my trailcams to a new location last night and just went to check it this afternoon to see if it was actually working (as I had my doubts)

The first 2 pictures were as follows:

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

Perhaps it's just a domestic cat close up but what do you think? The camera took a third picture but it's pretty dark and doesn't really show much more even after enhancement - you can see the back end of the animal but it's not very clear:

IMAG0003.jpg

The video the camera takes after doing those 3 shots didn't show anything at all so I haven't uploaded it

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I can't really work out what's happening with the back end of it but something different from the normal foxes and rabbits I normally capture

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
This is a photo of a lynx from toronto zoo. Very distinctive tufts. and chinbeard. Bob cats look really similiar though. Almost as big as well. Which was a surprise to me.

Last edited:
It is a Domestic cat - sorry !±!

No ear tufs ; Tail is cat not Lynx they have short bob tail, spots and strips all wrong too. Lynx much bigger than cat so you would not see top of body - have you measured hight of your camera in position?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lynx are not just large house cats. Have not ever seen any house cats in the 50-70lb range. Not a Bobcat, they have really long , gangly legs.
Keep the camera out there. Bait the cat(s) if at all possible. More pictures. Dozens, hundreds, and you can make the case.

Have you ever seen anything inexplicable Joe, in all your time in the woods? Come on, you must have, or know someone who has? :D Or maybe heard stories?

Once Dave.

Walking along a trail alongside a bank on a creek/stream. Heard a creature running at angle towards me through very low bush and calling with a high pitch note. Couldn't see it until it crossed the path a few yards ahead of me and down the bank towards the stream and out of sight. Looked for it for many minutes but I could not see the thing or hear it moving - it didn't cross the stream either.

That was maybe 40 odd years ago and to this day I do not know what it was.

I couldn't tell if it was bird or animal. Just a small rust/brown creature the size of small child's head. So fast did it move I couldn't see how many legs or if it had a head. Maybe it was a martin as they sometimes run/jump curled up when playing, but I've seen one run in the bush on the ground like that and anyway I would have know what it was. Nor was it like any bird I'd ever seen in the forest or open ground. I had an excellent view of it in good light before it disappeared.

Also:- My sister's two kids once came home in the dark saying they'd seen a ghost or forest spirit and were sure scared stiff. Sister and myself went where they said it was and it turned out to be a tree stump about four ft high glowing luminous green in the darkness of the forest. As I said on another posting this too is unusual sight - but at least I know what that was!!!!

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Joe, obviously I have no idea what it was you saw but three years ago I saw two Mink fighting (or I assume they were fighting) for all intense and purpose it looked like a Brown/Black soccer ball rolling down the canal towpath...this 'ball' fell into the water and I would never have known what it was if the two Mink had not surfaced on the opposite bank and started round two.......had I not actually seen them then no one would ever have convinced me that this 'furry ball' actually had eight legs, two tails and two heads.

D.B.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Once Dave.

Walking along a trail alongside a bank on a creek/stream. Heard a creature running at angle towards me through very low bush and calling with a high pitch note. Couldn't see it until it crossed the path a few yards ahead of me and down the bank towards the stream and out of sight. Looked for it for many minutes but I could not see the thing or hear it moving - it didn't cross the stream either.

That was maybe 40 odd years ago and to this day I do not know what it was.

I couldn't tell if it was bird or animal. Just a small rust/brown creature the size of small child's head. So fast did it move I couldn't see how many legs or if it had a head. Maybe it was a martin as they sometimes run/jump curled up when playing, but I've seen one run in the bush on the ground like that and anyway I would have know what it was. Nor was it like any bird I'd ever seen in the forest or open ground. I had an excellent view of it in good light before it disappeared.

Also:- My sister's two kids once came home in the dark saying they'd seen a ghost or forest spirit and were sure scared stiff. Sister and myself went where they said it was and it turned out to be a tree stump about four ft high glowing luminous green in the darkness of the forest. As I said on another posting this too is unusual sight - but at least I know what that was!!!!

Hahahaha, excellent stuff, Cheers Joe. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE