What leather ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
And so I have a big sharp and useful billhook, but when not in use that thing worries me, as the blade is unguarded, so, it neads a scabbard, sheath or something, and I want it in leather, as when I do it, I like working leather and this baby is getting boiled leather. But my knowledge of leathers to source for jobs is not good, I usually just make things out of what I find around, but now need to source the correct leather for this billhook, so I ask here,

What leather would be recommended to find to make a leather scabbard for a billhook with a blade ten and a half inch long, by five inch at the widest point, (the hook), and quarter inch thick. The plan being to incorporate a cigar type sharpening stone too, but the blade covering is the most important. Yeah, the scabbard will be decorated, as with me, it always is.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
At the Dutch BC-weekend, 1 of the people in our sheathmaking workshop made one for a Fiskars Billhook. We used veg tan 3,5 mm thick saddle leather, but it was not boiled.

PM me if you want a picture of the end result.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
I'd look at using 3.5 > 5mm shoulder.
Also treating it with Neatsfoot oil so the leather remains rigid.
This is not as a measure to stop the leather wearing....more to provide positive feedback when sheathing the beast :)

PS I'd also ensure there were rivets at the business end, just in case.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Thanks, I will now scour for the correct leather, and yes, a picture of the Fiskars billhook sheath would be useful, as I go on the fact that a picture is worth a thousand words, and I tend to make based upon what I see.

Neatsfoot oil, yes, I know that stuff, like rotted down cow in smell, but very useful, I get mine cheaply from an old fashioned cobbler. The only problem I have with it, is in my place it being kind of damp, anything neatsfooted goes mouldy.

I only wish to go the boiled leather route, possibly with beeswax, is because it makes fab armour, good armour for a heavy blade. Rivets, yes, f course, that thought had crossed my mind, for my Morris Newton hook.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Ok here comes the stupid question;

When boiling items of leather are they formed first and the boiled (and boiled for how long in what?) and does the process change the shape or size of the object - im very keen to have a go for a few things.
Wih there were more leathercraft courses out there it sems there is so mich to do with it but its a bit tricky to get to playwith it.

Boiling the leather makes it shrink up a lot (changes the structure of the leather - much as a piece of steak will shrink up when dropped into boiling water) and become very stiff once dried. You drop the leather (oversized by up to one third, depending on your project) into boiling water, wait until the bubbles stop, then hoik it out and quickly wrap it around your form, sew it in place, and then leave it to dry. Make sure your form is good and strong, and that you will be able to remove it from the shrunken leather afterwards! :) If you can't remove it, you could be inventing a new game of irregular shaped cricket...

There is plenty of info available on the web it is called 'Cuir Bouilli'.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
These might be useful for some ideas - the sheaths for my Newton and Khighton pattern bills.

3316283072_763543e0a9_o.jpg

3316283068_763665775a_o.jpg

356239225_07f669a393_o.jpg

356239220_ab87dfa5b4_o.jpg

All credit of course to the incomparable Topknot and Singteck!

Red

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
"Cuir Bouilli" is an ancient much misused & mis-appplied term

You really want to CASE the leather - not boil it (I boiled something once in over 20 years of leatherworking, and that was an accident)

Soak the leather in HOT (i.e. if you cannot hold your hand in the water, its too hot), then form it over whatever you want to, checking that the said item if steel is protected from rust damage

Jon

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I presume that its only veg tanned leather that you can do this with.
I have some other stuff (chromw tan?) i was going to have a practice on but i assume it wont work?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE